Default Feed 1:1 now to draw comb on medium supers?

I started with 5 frame nucs the first week in May and am using rite cell foundation and wood frames. i now have two deeps on each hive and mostly drawn out. With our heat and location, there's not much coming in so my question is, should I begin feeding 1:1 to draw out honey supers (mediums) for next year? I don't have any drawn comb so thought it might be a good idea to have comb ready for next year.

Default Re: Feed 1:1 now to draw comb on medium supers?

You can do that, but remember it's not honey. You also cannot 'bait' them up into a medium with a drawn comb of honey or brood, and it may take a while for them to draw it. Best to feed from above in that case, as they will crawl over the comb to get to the sugar water, which will help them decide to draw comb, I think.

Personally, I would not feed unless they didn't have adequate stores in that top deep if you think you will have a decent fall flow. We won't here unless the weather pattern changes, and there is no hope for that until November according to NOAA, so I am already feeding since neither of my hives is up to wintering condition yet. Been a bad year again. My brother got a nice honey crop this spring, but has little or nothing coming in now.

Peter

First thing, make sure the girls have enough stores to make it through winter, after that, it is yours. U don't want feeders on after u place your supers as u will have honey/sugar syrup. When I place my first super on a hive, that hive no longer gets syrup feeding unless there is a severe emergency, and if there is a severe emergency, the supers come off.

Make up some queenless nucs and let them draw out the comb by feeding them, then when you have what you want for comb you could shake back into parent colony or overwinter as a nuc by giving them a queen.
    It is amazing how fast nucs draw out comb compared to a big colony!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

Let's just say you did decide to feed now and they end up drawing out comb in the med supers....possibly filling the comb with sugar syrup/honey. I question to you would be this...

What do you plan to do with the filled meds? Leave them on over winter? I wouldn't worry about next year's comb wax now. They will build comb very fast next spring when its needed.

Mnt. Bee I have a couple of questions about the nucs. Why queenless, does queenless draw out better than queenright. What would you put in the nucs as far as starting out. (capped or uncapped brood, nurse or foragers, how many empty frames, a one or two story nuc etc etc.) Thanks Steve
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks