Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I'd've been better off doing NOTHING from day one

After 40 plus years of farming and beekeeping I find the dice tell me only to try again. I have read all the books,,followed all the leads and tips. Some work for me and others don't. Even with everything going great there is always something to slip you up.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Statistically, even when nucs are made, a certain percentage of queens are not accepted. Ten to 25% is not uncommon. In your case, your bees have been w/out a queen for long enough that they may well have workers who have started laying eggs. In that case, your bees "think" they have a queen. So, any queen you install will be killed, balled by the bees.

How long have your bees been queenless, as far as you can tell? What's your best guess?

If I were you, and had access to frames of brood, I would put two frames of capped brood and one frame of open brood w/ eggs into each of these hives, letting them raise their own queen. Then you wouldn't waste your money trying to install a queen in your hives. That's what I would do.
    sqkcrk, when I replied to your last post, I was 99.99% sure that all the "open brood w/eggs" were destroyed along with both queens when all those combs collapsed. Since my last reply to you, I saw bees carrying in POLLEN; and to me, like you, I think that I am now in one mell of hess... having working layers in BOTH hives. On top of that, I learned this morning that my queens were shipped today rather than yesterday because the seller's area was having severe storms yesterday. The queens will arrive tomorrow, and like you said, they will probably be killed by the bees, i.e., both of my hives are probably up **** creek and are destined to die off. @#$%^&*()_)(*&^%$# Oh, well, c'est la vie. There's always NEXT YEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
    After 40 plus years of farming and beekeeping I find the dice tell me only to try again. I have read all the books,,followed all the leads and tips. Some work for me and others don't. Even with everything going great there is always something to slip you up.
    I.e., "The best laid plans of mice and men go oft' awry."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yeah, but what can dice tell you?
    sqkcrk, right now the dice are telling me that my ass is grass and laying workers are the lawnmower. :-)

You have dice for that?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

So far so good for both hives. The two queens arrived yesterday morning, a day late because USPS is totally unreliable. I put their cages on the bottom board in the two hives, and so far neither has been balled; in fact they each have a fan club all around and on them... hopefully feeding them and recognizing them as their new queens. I'll check tomorrow to see if they've been released; if so, I'll start looking for lots of pollen on legs out front. Hope springs eternal.

ETA At 9:15 A. M. today, Friday, both HRM's are alive and well.
    Last edited by Hoosier; 07-27-2012 at 07:57 AM.

I've no idea now as to how/where my hives' condition(s) stand. Today, day three, I could see that I would have to release the queens myself. They were both alive, but the candy keeping them locked in was nowhere near gone. I could see that I would have to remove the cork on the other end... no matter what happened:

Hive one (strong hive):
    All the caged helpers had been killed; only the queen was still alive. I opened up the cage, could not see what happened to the queen or where she went.
    Hive five (weak hive): All the caged helpers were alive. I opened up the exit, and the hive bees killed them one at a time as they exited. I could not see what happened to the queen or where she went.

Looks like Drone City here we come!

Anne and I went looking through all the combs this evening, and in the weaker hive, right up by the front, top entrance, there she was, HRM. We started on the strongest hive to look for the queen there, but there were too many fragile combs being made that caused us to stop. If I don't see a lot of pollen going in soon, I'll give them a bar of new brood from the weaker hive so that they can make themselves a queen.
    ...........ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL........ Mmmmmmmmm, gotta buy about a hundred pounds of sugar real fast.

Wooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooo Lots and lots of bees from both hives are bringing in pollen this morning.

I find it to be very enjoyable to be around my bees ... nice place to read a book, even though you do have the occasional "helper" (can bees read?). This also takes advantage of the fact that your eyes and brain are naturally sensitive to change. It's almost an intuition: "Something's different ... I can't quite put my finger on it yet, but ..." When that intuition happens, follow it. The instincts that helped your ancestors detect a hungry tiger in the woods without exactly knowing why they were suddenly running away as fast as their legs could take them, can help you here.

As you look, maintain a written bee journal. Bring your phone or camera along and just take a few pictures. Look them over now and then. You'll get a sense of how the hive activity ebbs and flows ... and if "that intuition" goes off, follow it. It might turn out to be a false alarm but you'll learn from it anyway. Before intervening, write in your journal what you're thinking about doing and why. Flip back through your journal and see if you notice any patterns; don't just rely on your memory, or your fears.

What you really should avoid doing is, "doing something even though I don't know quite why I'm doing it just because I think that I (or somebody else told me that I) should." Or, "I just want to make sure the girls are okay." In all likelihood the girls are okay, and it may well be that they don't need any intervention of any kind from you. (Or, maybe they do. That's the sort of sensibility that you will develop over time with regard to your own hives, and as you volunteer to help other beeks in your area.)

Update?
    I am a NewB... Gathering info and equipment... Will get the bees spring of 2011!......um well let's make that 2013...

And once you get them and install them, LEAVE and don't look at the hive for a month; even if that means someone's hog tying your hands and feet.

Hoosier,

I moved to from Indiana to Missouri about 5 years ago. (Wish I had stayed in INdiana, southwestern Mo is not a great beekeeping place). When I left we had a strong bee organization with plenty of people who would come and visit your hives and help you out. Where are they? I'm sorry for your frustrating experiences. You shouldn't have had to go through this. The poor bees shouldn't have had to go through it either.

The whole account left me wondering why your mentor let them go so far.... ONe of the best ways to learn efficiently is to join the local club and get a mentor. We can only help you with words online. They can be there with hands on advice and even give you supporting brood, frames, queens etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12