I am 100% sure that both my hives would be better off today if in April I had installed the two 3# packages/queens in two of my four hives, put the lids on the hives, and not looked at them again until next spring.
As it is now, thanks to my too many examples of "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" stupidity, both my queens are dead, half of the combs collapsed, hive beetles' larva by the thousands in three combs that I burned, and a filthy mess of dead bees that I had to clean up, ... ad nauseam. Yesterday I ordered two more mated Minnesota Hygienic Italian queens; they will go out tomorrow UPS overnight delivery. Hopefully, the bees will recover somehow. Two things I will do, try to eliminate hive beetles and feed them all the sugar water they'll take, but that's it. Hope they're still alive next year.
I also ordered two 3# packages/queens for my other two empty hives; they will (hopefully) arrive April 1, 2013. MAYBE I've learned my lesson... whatever that is.