Hybrid View

Default 600 hive operation extractor options

hi there,

Sold my old extractor last fall. Run 600 colonies and plan on staying around this number. Looking to buy. Can any commercial tell me the best extractor to get for my money? Also how well it works for them.
    Waited to the last second; so hope its not too hard to get my hands on something.

Thanks,

Default Re: 600 hive operation extractor options

What was the extractor you sold? How well did you like it? Maxcant. Cowen. Dadant. If you got tit shipped into Canada from the US would you have to pay duty on it? Maybe you want one from somewhere in Canada?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Check with Herb Issac sales on line. Beemaid Winnipeg has several adds up. I just ordered a cowen in line took two months to get to WPG (still waiting but the arrival date has not happend yet).

Just wondering what others are using with the size operation I have? Any models to avoid?

I have heard from more than one source that the old Hubbard's are probably the best radial ever made but there are lots of good radials out there as they are essentially a pretty simple machine. If you have the space, the budget and pretty good frames it's pretty hard to beat a Cowen auto-load but as Honeyshack pointed out it will take quite awhile to get one in and set up. I was at their factory earlier in the summer and they were really booked up.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have used an old Hubbard with the pegs for frame spacers in the bottom support hoop, and was not impressed. Back in the 60's we had a pair of extractors(friction drive, slide the wheel on the platter), Kelley's? that had notches with angled sides for the side bars to sit in , much nicer.

Crazy Roland

Just got a bee blast from Mann Lake. They have the 114 (102 segmented) frame extractor on sale for $4500. I have no experience with it other than what i read in their catalog, but I thought it might be helpful for ya to know since your looking.

If anyone uses this extractor I would also greatly appreciate your thoughts on it. Not that I'm planning on buying one today, but you never know about tomorrow. Its hard to pass up a sale on power equipment and another extractor would help the extraction process go much faster.

Go with a Cowen 28 or 60 frame extractor system. You won't be sorry and it's complete...solid construction and good people to boot.
    http://www.cowenmfg.com/
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

I bought an older 60 frame dadant with a newer (3 years old) speed control that had been replaced. Will find out in a few weeks how it works. So for now, it looks nice in the shop.

60 frame Cowen all the way
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Here is a link to a fellow in Sask. who builds a couple of extractors.

http://www.bogend.com/bentley/extracinfo.html

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post
    Go with a Cowen 28 or 60 frame extractor system. You won't be sorry and it's complete...solid construction and good people to boot.
    My partner has a cowen 60 and swears by it. I have a maxant 20 frame but, will be going up in the next few years and need to go big. So will be looking at a 60 also. Let me know what you decide. You cant go wrong with a Maxant or Cowen in my opinion. Stear clear of the Mann Lake stuff it is Chinese and you wont be able to read the instructions.

We have a Cowen 60 Air. I wish it was about 18 inches longer, it doesn't allow enough comfortable space to have two people scratching frames after they come out of the uncapper. I highly recommend the deboxer. This was, I think the 8th season, and one of the air valves quit functioning properly on the last day of extracting for the season, so overall, very trouble free. It holds 58 frames and not 60. We've been able to extract about 350 supers per 8 hour day roughly 18-20 drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Birds&Bees View Post
    We've been able to extract about 350 supers per 8 hour day roughly 18-20 drums.
    That equates to about an 8 minutes from start to start and more like 6 minutes start to stop. You have found that to be sufficient run time?
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 09-23-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

[QUOTE=kilocharlie;833854]Dancing Bee - Congrats! and good luck. I'd like to hear about how many frames processed in how much time with all these different setups! We have a chance to learn something about efficiency before we buy, here on this thread...anybody???

bhfury - Yes, SHB's, western hive beetles, some slightly larger brownish ones with tiny heads and small antennae, and some beautiful green beetles with polka dots. The hive beetles and Western hive beetles are the main problems. Find any better trap bait than veggie oil?

Another neat trick - putting a black widow spider in the hive tends to really keep down the wax moths. Just watch out for her and wear your gloves. She'll only eat a few bees a year, and doesn't seem to ever get the queen.[/QUOTE
    Black widow there's already enough things to worry about !

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bee Apiary View Post
    hi there,

Sold my old extractor last fall. Run 600 colonies and plan on staying around this number. Looking to buy. Can any commercial tell me the best extractor to get for my money? Also how well it works for them.
    Waited to the last second; so hope its not too hard to get my hands on something.

Thanks,
    I have a 72 frame Walter T Kelley with variable speed motor and reverse, has worked great, had it special made. Looking to go down to a 33 frame. I will need to work up a price but if you're interested let me know.