Default Best take so far on my hand grafts..here's what I did different

I use a tiny paint brush for picking up larva. The hardest part for me is getting the buggers off any kind of tool, and the paint brush works best for me. I just barley pick it up with it hanging off the end so it will come off without trama. What I did different is I dipped my paint brush in an older larva's royal jelly and moistened the bottom of the cell cup. I wouldn't call it priming, but gave it a quick brush of moisture before picking up the larva and placing it. I came off the brush even easier and I had 100% of a triple frame started and almost to capping stage now.

I also like to hand graft into the Man lake grid cells too. They don't seem quite as deep as JZBZ cells and I can hold each one under my magnifier light with the graft frame. Really makes for quick grafting with those single cups.

Default Re: Best take so far on my hand grafts..here's what I did different

Lauri, what size paint brush? Does it have a number on the handle?
    I have problems with getting them off the tools and am looking for a better way. I have not been able to get them off the stainless tool at all, no matter how much jelly is in the cell i take them from. I know i could prime and that might make it easier, but i don't want to prime.
    thanks

I don't even try to get any jelly with the larva. I was just pick it up and place it in the cell dry, cover it with wet paper towel and get in to the starter right away after grafting. I had a pretty good take from that method. I found the same amount of cells were started from my nicot type system, so I felt my starter hive was more to blame/credit for successful starting than my grafts were.
    I found if I tried to get a bunch of royal jelly with the larva it was too far up on the tool to get off. Moistening the cell seemes to help with my dry method. I am using the same starter that I freshen regularly. I've never had a 100% take before on a frame that was so full of cells.
    And it was so easy to just moisten the cell with the doner larva's jelly. Just an extra dip and swipe in each..took no extra time to speak of.
    The paint brush is very tiney. It's the smallest I could find..it is a 0.
    If I need to, slightly roll it clockwise to get it under the larva, and roll it counter clockwise to get it off. It is very gentle and works well for me. I broke off half the handle half way so I could get it under my magnifier light.

Beezly, I got your PM about the Russell threads. I don't read that anymore so I did not see your post. Russell has never contacted me about the remainder of my order and I am soured on the finger pointing on those threads.

Thanks for the info Lauri. I'm going to try the brush and some of you rother techniques.
    And yeah, i'm done too.
    thanks again