Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Difficult time finding insurance

For the past two weeks I've been attempting to find an insurance company that will work with me.
    I'd like liability coverage for selling honey and for placing hives on someone elses land.

I've contacted:
    State Farm
    Erie
    Farm Burea (which directed me to Nationwide)
    Nationwide
    Lititz Mutual (who directed me to a local agent)
    Westfield (who directed me to a local agent)

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Allen; 07-20-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Default Re: Difficult time finding insurance

We have an agent here in KY the advertises beekeeping insurance. All I have is the ph# 1-866-456-2572. Don't know if it will help but may be able to direct you t someone.

I use Encompass (CNA) and they added Incidental Farming for less than $100/year. I do have my car, home and umbrella policy with them, so that's why it was just an add-on.

Our provincial bee association (ontariobee.ca) offers insurance to members. It is offered through the cooperators insurance company. I'm not sure if they have coverage in the USA or not. Maybe check with your local association for contacts.
    Last edited by wannabeefarms; 07-20-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Forgot to mention I also left a message with our state organization to see what they have to say.

Currently I have around 40 hives at 8 locations. About half of them are in my back yard here in town. I have Farm Bureau insurance. Had an agent talk to us this year to update their records. Mentioned my bees. They changed my policy to include liability insurance against the bees in all 8 locations. Since each apiary is not very large and they wanted total acerage the agent told me to put 1 acre for each location. I just got to notices from them this week. One was a cancellation of my policy and the other is a renewal policy with "farm" for my property and includes all locations.

Farm Bureau is the only insurance company I have dealt with for most of my life. Both in SC and here in TN.
    De Colores,
    Ken

most larger farm markets require ins and should be helpful

I had no problem getting insurance from my state farm agent. General liablilty as well as auto and equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by MTINAZ View Post
    I had no problem getting insurance from my state farm agent. General liablilty as well as auto and equipment.
    Are you selling honey?
    Is SF covering you for that?

SF has our homeowners ins and will cover our bees as a hobby.
    Once we start selling they won't cover us.

Default Re: VERY Difficult time finding insurance

In our ongoing quest for insurance we have been turned down by three more companies:

Lititz Mutual
    Westfield
    Donegal
    Talked with a Nationwide agent again who seemed positive they could insure me.
    Am waiting to hear back from her.

It seems like the Underwriters get real scared when you talk about pollination so I limited the exposure to hives on our property and selling honey.
    Sheesh!
    What a time...

Try Farm Family dot com. They have my insurance, house with product and general liability for 8 yards and 60 hives. They have agents in PA.

Look into purchasing a $1,000,000.00 umbrella policy. It should insure you against any claim of negligence on your part that might injure someone (ex. someone, somehow gets sick from your honey or a bee stings someone and they have an allergic reaction).

I second the recommendation for Farm Family. Prior to this year, they were the one Farm Bureau would send you to because they were doing a lot of farm insurances. This year, Farm Bureau switched to having Nationwide as their provider. Our Farm Family rep told me it was to try to increase bodies that were members for their increased power in lobbying. Lots of the people in the cities might join Farm Bureau for the discount in car insurance Nationwide would give them. Farm Family continued the discount for their current Farm Bureau clients, has a good relationship with Farm Bureau, but understands the goal of Farm Bureau in trying to increase membership counts.

I know Bush Insurance in Cambridge Springs Pa. will sell you liability insurance for selling Honey. I am not sure if the will cover liability on on hives on another property or not, but it is worth a try.

Farm Bureau wrote my policy. But, I had to educate my agent and she had to make a few call first. Bees are considered live stock and normally covered under a farm policy.

I also use Farm Bureau with a farm policy. I also double checked with my agent, the coverage extends to anywhere my farm operations occur, to include out yards on others property.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I'd like liability coverage for selling honey
    All the rest is pretty simple. This, on the other hand, requires product liability insurance.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Just heard from Nationwide (Farm Bureau).
    They will provide coverage for $690 for the following:
    selling honey
    bees on our property
    bees on someone elses property (which isn't gonna happen right away anyways)

Farm Family came right out yesterday and spent some time here reviewing our options.
    Am waiting to hear back from them.

Also waiting on Bush Insurance.

If FF and BI are close to the same price, am not sure what we will do.

Am I out of line thinking $690.00 is a bit much?
    I'm curious what some of the other small operation honey sellers are paying.

Thats about twice what I'm paying. I would keep shopping.

Forgot to mention that Nationwide got that price thru First Financial Insurance.

I could see the cost of insurance causing some folks to go without and hope nothing happens.