Default Honey Harvest 2014

Yesterday we had our first major (for us) honey harvest. I started a hive last year and got it to survive the brutal winter. In May it swarmed and I caught the swarm. I also made a nuc with one of the swarm cells. So my one hive became three. In May I also added a package for my fourth. I was told not to expect much honey since I had a swarm but the great weather has surprised me with booming populations and 3 supers on each of the original and swarm hives. The nuc is now a deep and a medium and the package is 3 full mediums with a just added fourth.

I started doing foundationless for about half my frames this year since I was just learning and wanted to try a lot of stuff. I also decided that if I had honey to harvest, I would do crush and strain. Well yesterday was the day. I had done 4 frames a few weeks ago so kinda knew what to do on a small scale. 5 gallon buckets just made it a bunch quicker.

Here I am with my helper, a foreign exchange student chaperone from France. I am looking over the frames and deciding which ones could be harvested. Some were not full and a few were not capped so I left most of those. I did test some of the uncapped and found it to be around 18% so I took a lot of the frames with some uncapped cells. Many frames were simply perfect works of art from the bees.

I would shake the frames in front of the hive if there were a lot of bees and then brush the stragglers. All that went great.

We then added them to a tote and then cut out the comb.

Default Re: Honey Harvest 2014

Afterwards we would crush with our hands and then pour into a 5 gallon bucket system that I have seen in several places but I think Michael Bush first showed me on his webpage or maybe here on Beesource. It worked great and soon we were filling jars.

Lots of jars.

I ended up with 34 Quarts, 28 Pints, and various other contaienrs we had saved including OJ and gatorade bottles, a peanut butter jar and even a Crown Royal bottle I am taking to my brother and my camper in the woods Overall we got 175 pounds from the 2 hives.

There's not much mystery about what the ladies are using now to make the honey.

I tested the honey tonight and it's at 17.5%. It tastes great!

I started cleaning up the wax today. That's a whole 'nuther job.

That's awesome! Thank you for taking the time to share this.

Makes my mouth water.

As for the wax... put it in a pan with some water and boil it for a short time and then pour the wax and water through a paper towel into a plastic container. Let it sit overnight and viola beautiful wax that in my mind is worth more than gold.

Wow! Looks great.

Nice essay!

Nice job. Congratsto the girls too!

Very nice tutorial! (Love the "field" shots)
    Thanks...and congrats!

I love it!
    Newbee with three hives and two nucs, zone 6b

Gorgeous, and so beautifully captured by your camera. That shot with the flower bouquet and produce to the rear is sublime. Congratulations!

Nice going John, glad you've had a successful season.

I got all my wax cleaned up last night and melted into a nice disk. I strained it. Man there is some crap in there! It could use some more filtering but I'll wait to do that until I figure out its final use. I'd guess I got 3 pounds or so.

Through some quick sales at work I've already paid for half my initial hive investment