Default Hello from northern Illinois.

Hello all, I am Adam from northern Illinois (Rockford area). I am new to beekeeping and I hope to be ready by this spring. My friend gave me a langstroth hive and I modified it to be all medium frames and built two more to match. I have ordered my 3 packages of bees and I am going to attempt foundationless frames and no treatments. Thank you and I look forward to learning from you all.

Default Re: Hello from northern Illinois.

Welcome! Good luck with the foundationless... I think it may be tough to start foundationless. Three is a great starting number.
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

Welcome primitive man, Adam!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome! First let me say starting out with more than one is a great idea. Now, would you consider making one of them start with foundation so you can see the difference? Good luck!
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

Welcome to Beesource!

You may find Michael Bush's site useful, and in particular this page on foundationless:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I am considering installing a frame or two with foundation in each hive so the packages have something to start drawing on immediately, but am still undecided. My friend gave me some foundation when he gave me the hive, and I want to measure it to find out what the cell size is. I want to regress the bees to their natural size, and am also concerned about the contamination levels of purchased foundation. Another friend of mine uses foundationless frames and said I could have a few frames of drawn comb to get them started. I guess I would be willing to use a frame or two in each hive with foundation if there will be an issue of them drawing their own out of the package, but it seems in nature that they don't have anything to start with when they start a new home. So I am still debating what will be best.

Thanks for the link Rader! I read Michaels book,"The Practical Beekeeper" and that was what convinced me to try foundationless and raise them as naturally as possible.

Welcome Adam. I have some research to do now....never heard the term "foundationless" but I am a newbie. Welcome!