Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varroa

Default Varroa

Did my three day mite count for the first time in my Beek career and found that all three of my hives had about 27 drops a day and all three are thriving with lots of bees and about 5-6 frames of brood each.

Was planning on doing fogger treaments twice a week for three weeks to see how it effects the count but i was also wondering how bad/good of a mite count this is for this time of year in the northeast and if i should be worried about the health of my hives or not

Default Re: Varroa

Fogging with what? FGMO is mostly regarded as ineffective and I'm not sure what else you would apply by fogger. 27 per day at this time of year is not terrible but it is not superb either. If you are looking for a soft treatment consider one of the Thymol products.

With that small of a mite count I would just pull the queen to stop a brood cycle. If possible if you have another hive to split off of. Place her there. You can graft one or two cells and place in the infested hive. Hope this helps.

I still have honey on and we'll be extracting after most of the goldenrod flow
    after the extraction i will be sugar shakes but im going to stay away from thymol products for now
    Im fogging wi MO which i know is said to be inaffective by some but i've heard from a number of experienced Beeks that it will bring down the mite count to some extent

Dewey do you have any experience with vaporizing

Please forgive me,,,,,,you don't treat just "because". Sorry, you do what you think best

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    Please forgive me,,,,,,you don't treat just "because". Sorry, you do what you think best
    clarification ??

1. They are his bees
    2. It isn't my place to tell him or anyone what to do and it isn't posted in the treatment free section
    3. I write before I think some times
    4. 27 seems "not too bad" especially since indications/ sounds like the hive is doing well and other wise healthy.
    What if: the mites seen are because the bees are dealing with them?
    the treatment interrupts that?
    I mean no disrespect. IMO, there are folks that would be happy with that situation and not treat. I would. It all boils down to what you believe is best.

no offence taken its just that right now two of the hives are survivor hives from two years past with no thymal or any other treatments at all actually, and three seem very populous and healthy hives. Also i want to see how i can handle the mites with just sugar shakes, fogging, and vaporizing with which people have had good results in the past

I understand luka,,,,,but why???? Why subject your apparently healthy hives to such an environment of chems? Why handle mites that need not be handled. Maybe I'm missing something. To each their own.

thats exactly it Rick 1456 i would consider fogging with mineral oil and doing sugar shake treatments much less of chem subjection then giving them thymal products even though its considered all natrual its still a chem

Understood I mis interpreted what was being said. Not unusual for me I hope you never have to.

Why subject your bees to ineffective treatments? FGMO has enough research on it that proves is is hardly effective. It was all the rage a number of years ago but that faded fast and I don't know any successful beeks that use it anymore. Mineral oil, IMHO, is no more natural than Thymol or Formic. And I wouldn't want my honey to have mineral oil in it so, if you must have supers on, Formic and Hopguard are about your only bet other than sugar drops which, again, are not proven to help that much. If your supers are on and you don't want to use Formic or Hopguard then hit them with sugar until those supers come off and you can use a truly effective treatment.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

FBM uses it along with vaporizing

FBM also states that is isn't very effective but I wonder why he needs to use it with his small cell bees.
    USDA Zone 5A

First let me say good job on even doing a mite count!! Lots of bee keepers never even know what their mite counts are. Your mite counts are middle of the road. Not good but, not too bad yet. The mites normally get the hives going into the second year. A lot of new bee keepers watch their new hives grow and prosper the first year and never notice the mite counts continue to grow. Keep an eye on the mite counts once they get close to 50-60 in a 24hr period you need to do something about it. But, keep in mind you need to give the bees time to recover from such a mite count. you can't wait until right before winter to treat, you need to treat in time to give the bees time to raise a couple rounds of brood before winter sets in.

In my short bee keeping experience I have learned that it is fairly easy to keep new hives nucs and packages alive and prospering. But, it is a little harder to keep 2-3 year old hives alive. I am pretty sure this is because of the mites and the problems they pass on to the bees. JMHO

mineral oil
    n.
    1. Any of various light hydrocarbon oils, especially a distillate of petroleum.
    2. A refined distillate of petroleum.
    USDA Zone 5A

Where I live 27 would be a great number. Just hit them with powdered sugar a couple times, & the number will be lower.
    I don't get concerned until the # is well over 50
    Dan

Keth i see your point after with the ingredients of mineral oil but it fog that is fanned out of the hive by the bees in mins.
    Also whats your opinion on a 27mites/24h seens you live in new England i've asked MP and he said it was high but others are not sayin so, more opinions the better i guess
    And whats your thoughts on vaporizing with oxalic acid i've it works well

Putting aside it's effectiveness mineral oil fogging causes the mites to lose their grip. The reason is because the bees are covered with a thin coat of oil. If the bees are covered then so are the cappings in your supers and will get mixed with the honey during extraction.

If I had 27 mites drop in 24 hours I would treat with formic right away personally. I am around 15 over a 72 hour period right now on the few hives that I have a screen bottom board on. I will be treating all my hives regardless as soon as the temperature range looks okay for it.

As for vaporizing with oxalic I have no experience with it. MP says he tried it for quite awhile and was not impressed at all with the results.
    USDA Zone 5A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast