Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Please post your return times

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  hilreal 
#1 ·
At what time in the afternoon/evening do you find your daily foragers to be coming back in large numbers? Also, post your location, too. This'll make for some good data!

Thanks!

I'll start. At 7:30 PM in Dallas, I started to see large numbers of bees returning to the hive.

#5 ·
Oh. My hives have a curfew. All the girls must be in their beds by 9pm. I have a timer that turn the lights off in the hives at 8:59. I like it this way, because I dont have to worry about getting stung when I go out to lock the little doors on all the hives. Sometimes I drink too much and sleep in the next morning. They really hate it when I let them out late. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
It depends on the weather and available forage. If the weather is fine and there is a flow on they might work from dawn to dusk. If there is a dearth they might beard all day long.

Yesterday it was overcast in the morning and they were flying around getting into everything (a fair nuisance - I was glad I don't have many near neighbors at the time) while they waited for the Devils Walking Stick (Aralia spinosa) to start producing - then mostly went home by 4. If a front starts blowing through they will often come home en-mass no matter what time it is.

#7 ·
Varies by hive. Sometimes I will check and hive number 1 will have a cloud of bees returning at 430. The hive next to it will have the same cloud at 530. Then there are the stragglers that come in until dark. Depends on the nectar source?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.