Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bees Not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't see why this should be included. EVERYONE has some form of stinging insect living on their property.
    Good point

I noticed that you did not include the restriction on the amount of hives allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't see why this should be included. EVERYONE has some form of stinging insect living on their property.
    I think this is a "cover their butts" inclusion. If you don't take care of it, it can become a public nuisance. Do you have any idea how long it takes to get a Health & Safety officer from the city to show up at your house after a complaint? Around here, 1.5-3 months. If you have a yellow jacket hive that is big enough for someone to complain about, and it is still there 3 months later, I would say that is a public nuisance.

How is it a "public nuisance" when it's on non public property?
    Regards, Barry

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.
    If you give them the opportunity to make a decision...

He already said he is ratting the neighbors out for having hives. I dont understand why he invited the gOVERNMENT into his backyard in the first place. I would have put a small fence up and got bees, just like the neighbors.

Bakpakr -- Why don't you talk to Warren Miller / PA State Beekeepers Assn. Cumberland is still an agricultural county, the Penn State Ag extension folks will help, too. Your neighbor cities don't have these restrictions, sounds like an overly zealous zoning officer. There are PA State folks that will help you - better than out-of-state help for a problem like this. Good luck.

bakpakr: Are you near Patton PA,,,message me if you do.
    I just invested 18,000 bucks on a building on my farm. Then the twp I live in Ohio sued the Zoning Board of Appeals for allowing me to build it. The Twp spent, so far, over 45,000 for their attorney,,,they have not paid the attorney for the ZBA, that bill is also around 45,000.00. I stood my ground, and now the TWP insurance company that will have to pay the lawyers said to drop the case. In a way I won,, but I also lost. My 18,000.00 investment was torn down in an effort to stop any more money being wasted by the TWP Trustees. Now I am thinking of suing each one of them as Citizens,,not government officials,, my attorney says I have a good case and I can sue them as citizens.
    I posted this to show city hall is not the final word. And oh BTW I used Ohio Revised Code to help the ZBA with evidence which states. TWP's and Counties have no Agricultural Buildings.
    bakpakr : Fight em!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
    He already said he is ratting the neighbors out for having hives. I dont understand why he invited the gOVERNMENT into his backyard in the first place. I would have put a small fence up and got bees, just like the neighbors.
    I did not rat anyone out. I have not told the powers that be that there are hives in the borough. I do not plan to either. I am not sure if they know of the existence of the hives or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
    bakpakr: Are you near Patton PA,,,message me if you do.
    I just invested 18,000 bucks on a building on my farm. Then the twp I live in Ohio sued the Zoning Board of Appeals for allowing me to build it. The Twp spent, so far, over 45,000 for their attorney,,,they have not paid the attorney for the ZBA, that bill is also around 45,000.00. I stood my ground, and now the TWP insurance company that will have to pay the lawyers said to drop the case. In a way I won,, but I also lost. My 18,000.00 investment was torn down in an effort to stop any more money being wasted by the TWP Trustees. Now I am thinking of suing each one of them as Citizens,,not government officials,, my attorney says I have a good case and I can sue them as citizens.
    I posted this to show city hall is not the final word. And oh BTW I used Ohio Revised Code to help the ZBA with evidence which states. TWP's and Counties have no Agricultural Buildings.
    bakpakr : Fight em!!!!
    Not anywhere near Patton.

Not really fighting them. Just going to play their game and use their rules against them. I have gotten real good at doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by TriJim View Post
    Bakpakr -- Why don't you talk to Warren Miller / PA State Beekeepers Assn. Cumberland is still an agricultural county, the Penn State Ag extension folks will help, too. Your neighbor cities don't have these restrictions, sounds like an overly zealous zoning officer. There are PA State folks that will help you - better than out-of-state help for a problem like this. Good luck.

I am currently in touch with Kim Goodman who is the Pennapic county coordinator. They maintain the hive that are on the Governors grounds.

I will also get in touch with Warren thanks.

I think fighting this a such a low government level is a waste of time. Even if you get your way, the next guy in that same office can nullify the previous ruling based on his/her interpretation of the law(s).

You would be better off getting your state beekeeping association involved. If you are not a member, then join their ranks. They are your best advocate.

In the state of TN, local laws have been passed over the last few years banning beekeeping. Some are county and some are city ordanances.

The TBA (TN Beekeepers Association) finally got a bill through the state legislature and signed by the govenor either late last year or early this year that supercedes all local ordanances concerning beekeeping. This new law states that anyone can keep bees on their property. I think there is a maximum amount of hives which is based upon lot size(s).

With most everyone I know concerned about the plight of bees these days, it is much easier to get the public on your side.

A letter to the editor of your local and state newspapers couldn't hurt either. Enlighten these readers about bees, beekeeping, and the loss of bees across the country.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Disease prone if I'm mistaken is referring to insects which can harbor diseases communicable to humans.

I think you're ok cuz there's an apiary at the Governors Mansion in Harrisburg.

"Yes I don't think they know about them. I am hoping that by raising this with the borough I don't get them in hot water." Oh, sorry. I guess I misunderstood.

Set up 3-4 empty hives in your backyard and leave them. Go out in a bee suit and inspect them occasionally. When they write you a ticket, take the code officer out back and show him the empty boxes, and film it. Now you can get your bees.

Hi bakpakr and good luck in your efforts.

Many municipalities are in the process of legalising or formalising beekeeping, due to the the exploding public interest and support for locally produced food and an awareness of the 'plight' of bees. Although this is often based on a poor understanding of the issue, it provides support nonetheless. I have found a lot of good info on this site, and if you google 'beekeeping' 'ordinance' 'code' 'bylaw' you will find many examples you can show to your local or district council, including model code text. I am pursuing this where I live and am exploring a partnership with the botanic garden in my local city as a first step. It is looking positive so far. I will see if I can email you a document where I have gathered up all the examples I found of codes etc in existence now. Some of them are surprisingly permissive, e.g. allowing bees in condos. Following Vancouver legalising beekeeping in 2006, there are now reportedly 3,000 beekeepers in the city!

cheers

Rob

Can you hide the hives?

My wife was all worried about bees in the backyard now she could care less because she forgets they're even there.

To the OP....IMHO having a 20ft fence that goes beyond the hives in both directions is a bit much if the hives are not pointed at the property line in question. I have my hives about 10 ft from a property line. I talked to my neighbors before getting the bees. I put an 8ftx8ft fence behind the hives and the hives themselves are spaced so they take up most of the 8ft length of that fence...but they're pointed in the other direction towards my property. They've never been a nuisance to the neighbors and when you watch the bees they leave in the direction the hives are pointed and by the time they've made a turn one way or the other they're 20ft or higher. Building a 40ft long fence is a huge barrier to entry to someone that wants 1-2 hives and doesn't want them smack in the middle of the yard.

Thaks everyone for the great responses and information. Keep it coming!!

I am now in contact with a PA State Dept. of Ag. Apiary inspector. She is on my (our)side.

I will get the law either changed or new law enacted at the local level. I may also get the state law amended to take it out of the hands of local authorities hands as the state has a registration and inspection program in place and in my opinion would be better able to deal with apiaries than the local authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by bakpakr View Post
    Thaks everyone for the great responses and information. Keep it coming!!

I am now in contact with a PA State Dept. of Ag. Apiary inspector. She is on my (our)side.

I will get the law either changed or new law enacted at the local level. I may also get the state law amended to take it out of the hands of local authorities hands as the state has a registration and inspection program in place and in my opinion would be better able to deal with apiaries than the local authorities.
    Bakpakr, how is this coming along? Anything concrete?
    Thanks for taking it on.