Default BEE FONDANT: I end up with GUM

I've made many batches of bee fondant and they turned out GREAT.

Today I used 10 pounds of sugar and ended up with Sticky GUM.

GUM-this is what seems like it is.....some of the plates I made have a solid center but for the most part I have 8 inch paper plates filled with STICKY GUM.

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED HERE????

per 5 pounds sugar: 300ml water, cup of corn syrup, 10mls vinegar cook slowly to 242 degrees...and kept it there for 10 minutes
    Last edited by vdotmatrix; 12-15-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Default Re: BEE FONDANT: I end up with GUM

Barometric pressure plays heck with all candy making. Always trouble making it on dreary overcast days. I assume it shifts the temp the water boils off by a degree or so.
    Habitually learning...

man I don't know what I did...I don't think I heated the mixture agressively at first and went about it in a pitifullay weak way....getting ready to make more here in a minute.UGGGGGG
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post
    Barometric pressure plays heck with all candy making. Always trouble making it on dreary overcast days. I assume it shifts the temp the water boils off by a degree or so.

IMG_3018.jpg

Well success....I think I didn't add enough energy of activation in my batch yesterday to get the reaction going.

thanks everyone

How long do you boil at 234 degrees?
    I tried 2 - 3 minutes and the fondant never "set". So I put it on the stove for another 3 minutes of boiling and I did get it to set..... and it set like a rock. Fortunately I was prepared with my paper and rolling pin to reduce to 1/2 inch. I had to use a hand saw to cut it up into separate pieces.

Yesterday I gently heated this thing-I think a big mistake.....at 230 degrees it started to technically boil but it really has to be a rolling boil...not boiling out of the pot but a rolling boil....

you have to watch the thermometer....I.5 cups of water per 5 pounds of sugar is enough water and about a cup of corn syrup per 5pounds of sugar with about 5mls vinegar per 5 pounds of sugar....

the whole point of making fondant is to invert the sucrose into glucose and fructose at a ph which facilitates this process and also has a product that is closer to the ph of nectar......

so i kept the solution at 242-244 for about 15 minutes....after yesterday's EPIC failure-I wanted to be sure that this solution reached the proper candy stage according to the thermometer and then just a little more for good measure.......

The gum is in the trash.....You know this was a pretty labor intensive process but in the end if it is good insurance for MY bees I do not care....

I have to make some feeder shims for some NUCS and a 5-frame medium...

OH OH OH I almost forgot......another thing that we are trying to accomplish through this process is drive off the water we added in the beggining...

the reason for hovering at that temperature and/or cooling back down to 230 then bringing it back up again or just keep it in the target range is to drive off the water.....

you won't crystallize with excess water present right? we've established that!

A friend was telling me that if honey has a higher water concentration that it will crystallize easier-BUNK...i digress.....

keep it at a low boil as long as you can....it is difficult towards the end because it is hard to keep the temp from soaring and that is your cue that it is ready to cool!!!!

This thing started to go at 225 and i was pouring this stuff after hitting it with a mixer.

You need a candy thermometer and be very careful NOT to carmelize your product or you will poison your bees....is why you never use dark brown sugar or molasses in any food for our bees-i think.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    How long do you boil at 234 degrees?
    I tried 2 - 3 minutes and the fondant never "set". So I put it on the stove for another 3 minutes of boiling and I did get it to set..... and it set like a rock. Fortunately I was prepared with my paper and rolling pin to reduce to 1/2 inch. I had to use a hand saw to cut it up into separate pieces.

Once I'm satisfied that most of the water is cooked out (approx 240 degrees), I let it cool down to perhaps 200 and then pour it into a mixmaster to let it aerate and crystalize. After a while on slow mix, I pour it into a baking pan, and as it cools, cut it into bricks. Never had a problem and the bricks store year after.