Default Fondant question

If bee fondant is on the harder side, can bees still eat it? Or should I scrap this batch and start over?

Default Re: Fondant question

It will be fine if it is not cooked until carmelized/brown. The bees basically reliquify the sugar anyway.

For whats it worth, I made Fondant last weekend (for the first time) - using cane sugar, water and a little Cream of Tartar -- Boiled it to about 238 degrees and then poured it into a large pyrex dish until it cooled. Then, per instructions, while cooling and still liquid, mixed it up - not sure why, but probably to scatter the crystals about and help solidification -- then poured it onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet to completely cool and solidify.

It came out smooth but kind of brittle -- and broke into pieces/chunks while removing from cookie sheet. I gave it to the bees anyway and they seem to like it.

I thought Fondant would be more flexible because I know they use it to cover cakes and the like.

So, in the long run, I kind of think Fondant is really no different that Laurie's sugar blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ABausher View Post
    If bee fondant is on the harder side, can bees still eat it? Or should I scrap this batch and start over?
    Bee fondant is not hard. Its soft and ply able. If it comes out hard you boiled to much water out.

Quote Originally Posted by orthoman View Post
    For whats it worth, I made Fondant last weekend (for the first time) - using cane sugar, water and a little Cream of Tartar -- Boiled it to about 238 degrees and then poured it into a large pyrex dish until it cooled. Then, per instructions, while cooling and still liquid, mixed it up - not sure why, but probably to scatter the crystals about and help solidification -- then poured it onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet to completely cool and solidify.

It came out smooth but kind of brittle -- and broke into pieces/chunks while removing from cookie sheet. I gave it to the bees anyway and they seem to like it.

I thought Fondant would be more flexible because I know they use it to cover cakes and the like.

So, in the long run, I kind of think Fondant is really no different that Laurie's sugar blocks.
    Cream of tarter is not good for the bees. You made bakers fondant. The kind thats used on cakes. It is different than sugar cakes you must have made it wrong. It took me like 4 or 5 times to get it right.

The cream of tarter is an acid used to invert the sugar when making fondant, apparently cream of tarter is not good for bees but I use a little cider vinegar which does the same thing. I also use a pound of corn syrup and 5lbs of sugar per batch and also pour onto a mold with parchment paper. I heat the mixture to 245 degrees so when the mixture is set I score the slab and break it inti pieces it has the consistency of fudge but is pure white in color. I have fed bees a sugar brick next to a slab of fondant and the bees feed on the fondant as inverted sugar is sweeter than normal sugar. The fondant also absorbs some of the moisture created by the cluster and makes it easier for the bees to feed on.
    Johno

There is so little cream of tarter in the recipe - and the recipe came from a reputable beekeeping textbook that also has a recipe using corn syrup - I have my doubts about the claim that Cream of Tartar is bad for the bees.

There is some research out there that I read about 5 or six years ago that claimed that cream of tarter in bee feed caused earlier mortality in bees than feed without, so knowing the theory about acid being a catalyst in the process of turning sugar into invert sugar and as I had cider vinegar and not cream of tarter and I was using cider vinegar in the syrups I have been feeding bees in fall feeding I have always used about 2 TBL spoons of vinegar in each batch and all has been well so far. But at the end of the day they are your bees and you can decide what and how you wish to feed them.
    Johno

I agree they are your bees. You can do what you will. But at the end of the day you are poisoning the bees. Theres more out there to say its not good than 1 book. But do as you will.