Default Minnesota Hygienic Queens ?

I will be splitting some colonies this spring . I found a local commercial keep about 25 mile away that sells Minnesota Hygienic Queens. I rather not do a mail order. Any experience out there with this strain. Are they good honey producers or do they spend to much time cleaning? Winter hardy? well tempered? I guess every strain is winter hardy. I saw a video one time for bees to make it up north they must be a northern bred bee. Funny how My California Italians packages are doing fine in a much colder climate than where this bee expert is.
    Last edited by lowhog; 02-29-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Default Re: Minnesota Hygienic Queens ?

Following.

I've also been researching Queen Bees for sale in MN & eastern SD, planning for some 2016 summer splits & requeening.... so looking at my "queen options" locally. Not finding much. I checked hives on Sat and my strongest one is the one who superceded last summer...but I dont' feel like I have enough hives to count on them raising their own queens. I hope I'm not forced to let them do that.

My package Italians did not fair so well. However, a beekeeping friend requeened with a southern bred Italian queen from a commercial guy's queen bank and that was her best doing hive for both honey production and numbers this winter thus far. WE also have a local high school aged girl who tried grafting and raising her own queens last summer. That queen looked good in the Nuc but the did not take off great after introducing her to the hive. That hive has died this winter. SO hard to know - Genetics or environment???. This girl is trying to overwinter those young queens in nucs but I haven't' talked to her lately to see how things are goings. IN past years, shes had about 50% survival in her overwintered nucs, better in full hives.

I started a "SW Minnesota Bee Keepers" Facebook group hoping to make some more connections. I just feels like there isn't much out there to choose from.

We have plenty of commercial folks around here and a few more leads, I'll check around some more. How far are you from Alexandria? I'm 40 miles north.

http://fourseasonsapiaries.com/about-us/

I got a queen from the link and was impressed with the operation. People who love and care for bees in addition to devoting their efforts to bees have my respect.

I would buy from Joe again!

Joe split from his BBFF (best bee friend forever) this year and either Joe or Boreal Apiaries, Yuuki and his wife Meghan who are starting Boreal Apiaries based out of Burnsville, MN. You can learn more about them on the Northern Bee Network and contact them at borealapiaries@gmail.com.

This isn't a solicitation, just recommending bee lovers doing what they can for the bees. These guys live bees. Worth a look. I don't know too much about them other than they had queen when I needed one and they love bees!

Default Re: Minnesota Hygieic Queens ?

Thanks, that's the kind of information I'm looking for. Funny neither one of those showed up in a Google search. the Internet can be frustrating.I'm 90 miles south of Alex.

Kengineer Much to far of a drive for this cat. It should help Twgun1. Thanks for the info.

I have read that Oliverez from CA is using MN Hygienic. I purchased from his group last year, all 5 of my packages survived and are doing well.
    They were superior to the GA bees in honey production, winter survivability, and reproduction. They ARE terrible robbers though. Wiped out all my nucs and small hives. Going to start 2-4 different bee yards. Good product. I have ordered more.

Last August I found out how to make robbing screens real quick our Italians are the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by jvalentour View Post
    I have read that Oliverez from CA is using MN Hygienic. I purchased from his group last year, all 5 of my packages survived and are doing well.
    They were superior to the GA bees in honey production, winter survivability, and reproduction. They ARE terrible robbers though. Wiped out all my nucs and small hives. Going to start 2-4 different bee yards. Good product. I have ordered more.
    The robbing characteristic probably had a lot to do with the honey production.

I've tried them twice. Had acceptance and supersedure problems both times. It might have been me although I didn't do much different than any other introduction. I would probably try again since I like the idea of the strain but so far, it's been a bit of work.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Had 250 ordered from Olivarez. They called a couple days ago and lost many thousand hives. Koehnan as well. I feel terrible for them. They are good folks. Might want to call and check your order.

Quote Originally Posted by mbevanz View Post
    Had 250 ordered from Olivarez. They called a couple days ago and lost many thousand hives. Koehnan as well. I feel terrible for them. They are good folks. Might want to call and check your order.
    My goodness that's a shame.