Thread: mite treatment

Default mite treatment

Hello,
    My father in law was curious what other beekeepers were using for mite treatments. I know there is a lot out there but he was curious what seems (if any) to be the consensus treatment currently.
    Thanks,
    chris

Default Re: mite treatment

There are effective and proven mite treatment methods. The effectiveness of each method is based on many factors including temperature, season, timing, brood cycle and obviously following the manufacturers instructions. I would suggest checking Randy Oliver's website and check out his Varroa Management pages. IMO, he offers the best objective analysis of the various popular methods http://scientificbeekeeping.com/varroa-management/

OAV, I'm a first year bee keeper and did quite a lot of reading since mites are stressed so highly as a major concern. I bought the vaporizer and treat as needed.
    Lee

Honey Bee Health Coalition has a guide on different methods of varroa control. Check it out at http://honeybeehealthcoalition.org/
    There is no "consensus" on treatments, the only consensus is that mite control is a must. Not everyone uses treatments to achieve that goal though.

Vaporizer and treat mostly in August. I do powdered sugar rolls to check mite count about every other inspection. I do one treatment this time of year when I put the bees to bed for winter. I put sticky boards on the winter insert and check the count of dropped mites 48 hours after Winter treatment. I use IPM bottom boards all year and I use Diatomaceous Earth in trays because I got tired of the messy oil.

Mary

The best go to treatment for mites with no known side effects was Apivar. Because it was over used, some populations, possibly all of mites have become resistant to it. Putting a couple of the strips in the middle of your cluster now would kill a lot of mites and that is a good thing. Until summer comes and you can do testing of your mite load with sugar or alcohol washes, you will be hard pressed to know what the level of your problem is. An oxalic acid drizzle when bees are broodless is an excellent measure if done correctly. Apiguard is a good late summer treatment on strong colonies. I would not recommend it on spring expanding colonies. Oxalic vaporizers are also a good method of control but requires repeated treatments.

Wishful thinking, powdered sugar treatments, small cell, Screened bottom boards and other non chemical controls are not effective options I am sorry to say. I tried that route. But testing your mite population is mandatory however you do it. When your mite levels reach four or five percent of your bees hag ridden, your hive is dead and you just don't know it.

To choose the best acaricide we must consider the context, among others, the level of infestation and the speed of acaricide action.

French trials in 2014 have shown that the apivar takes 29 days to bring the number of varroas below a threshold of 1000 varroas. By contrast the MAQS in 2 days only reached the same threshold. But apivar was more effective than the MAQS when placed in time.

With a higt infestation in the hives putting on apivar strips is probably already too late. It is a very effective but very slow acting product.

Question?

if you "Fog" with mineral oil this time of year.....do you have to be concerned about temperatures?

should you not fog with temps going below 32 within a couple days?

anyone have any info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by AthensM50 View Post
    Question?

if you "Fog" with mineral oil this time of year.....do you have to be concerned about temperatures?

should you not fog with temps going below 32 within a couple days?

anyone have any info on this?
    A snarky reply, but why go to the effort? FGMO has been shown ineffective so many times.

I agree with Andrew it does not work. There is a season long thread by Glock located here: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ighlight=glock He did a nice job of documenting how it didn't work.