Default Couple of issues I need advice

First year beek, needs some advice. I currently have 2 hive and a nuc. The first hive was started from a nuc in April currently in 8 frame 2 deeps. 2nd hive is a recent cutout in 2 8 frame mediums has a laying queen building up well. The nuc is 5 frames 3 brood 1 honey and 1 empty frame with a marked laying queen. I stared feeding 1:1 sugar water to encourage drawing new comb. Now to my questions. About 15 days ago I pulled the queen and some frames from hive 1 to make the nuc. Yesterday I inspected all my hives. Hive 1 bursting with bees found a couple of queen cells at the bottom of a frame one of the cells was hatching the top of the cell was partially open I could see the queen moving in the cell there was a couple of workers gathered around the cell bouncing their thorax up and down. I was thinking good should have laying queen in about 11 days. Fast forward to today got home from work went with my daughter to look at hives all looked well. We have an orange tree in yard my daughter says hey what is that in the tree. You guessed it a swarm in the tree. Where did it come from all my hive look the same. Would a virgin queen leave the day after hatching? Next problem I don't have any more Woodware currently. I found a 5 gal bucket with a lid cut a hole in the lid and shook the bees into it will they stay until I can come up with some more woodware?

Chaney

Default Re: Couple of issues I need advice

They're gonna overheat in that bucket, yes they can swarm with a virgin, but it's not guarantee it's a swarm from your hives either.

I don't plan on leaving them in the bucket just temporally until I can get more woodware. They could overheat guess. The hive I cutout was in a plastic bin in full sunlight with only a 2 inch hole for the bees to come and go and they seemed to be doing just fine. A day old virgin queen will leave the hive?
    Last edited by creed; 07-10-2015 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Adding to answer

No a day old virgin won't leave the hive. Can't yet.

creed, Are you out of frames too, all woodenware? If you've got a few frames you could try a heavy cardboard box, like you'll find at supermarkets and so forth. You could fashion you a cardboard deep, especially if you could find some good duct tape to tape it up with, until you get your woodenware...just a thought. Good luck to you.
    Brent
    Zone 6a, Started April 2014

I do have 4 or 5 frames a mix of deeps and mediums and a cardboard box great idea!

Swarm picture

"will they stay until I can come up with some more woodware?"

I would put something over the bucket to shade it and get them in a hive as quickly as practical. Good thinking getting the in the bucket like you did.
    Beekeeping is "the poetry of agriculture." Baron von Ehrenfels.