Thread: FYI

Default FYI

FWIW I just got this survey from the Ohio State University, I think I got this as I belong to the Ohio State Beekeepers Assn.

http://www.americanbeeproject.com/#!...ge-survey/c5if

Never heard of the "american bee project."

Ev
    Last edited by exmar; 12-16-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Default Re: FYI

how many people can really justify a hive on ten acres or less for feed purposes other than pollination contracts?
    Charla Hinkle

It looks like they are trying to come up with statistical data to lobby states to create an ag exemption for beekeeping. They are trying to come up with a reference point for minimum number of hives per acre or minimum and maximum number of acres to be exempt under beekeeping when they approach the legislature. Seems like a noble effort, but in my opinion, the exemptions should be granted for keeping the livestock (honeybees) on the property and not specifically for the amount of forage provided to the bees since bees are not confined to the property boundaries anyway. The Texas beekeeping ag exemption is relatively new and requires a minimum of 5 acres to a max of 20 acres. The number of colonies on the land is arbitrarily determined by the county tax office and varies from county to county. I would think states are reluctant to add exemptions since it cuts off revenue.

Agree. If "they" are trying to help bees, they should simply give a tax credit to the property owner per hive or something similar. Would seem simple enough, Here in Ohio your apiary is registered by the state and the number of active hives is documented on the yearly inspection report. As pointed out, cutting off revenue would be a big issue. Particuarly since property taxes would cut revenue primarily to local governement, not the state. If you want to talk about tax credits, look at Big Agriculture, particuarly corn growers, they get lots of credits, including a tariff on "foreign" ethanol at the border. Gotta have that to add to gas to mess up our engines, small and large. Not to mention the need for ethanol has driven up corn prices impacting a lot of the food we buy. Sorry, private soapbox issue for me. :-)