Default Interchangeability between suppliers?

Hi all,
    I am considering getting some frames from WT Kelley but 99% of me boxes are from Brushy. I remember reading that this may be a problem but I cannot find that particular thread. Should I be concerned?

Thanks
    Chris in NJ

Default Re: Interchangeability between suppliers?

Contact Kelly and ask for dimensions. I build all my own frames and woodenware, so I know it's compatable.

There's very often a difference. As mentioned, ask before buying and if you can, try and stick with the same company or make your own. It's not always a huge problem but it can be a pain.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd4421 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am considering getting some frames from WT Kelley but 99% of me boxes are from Brushy. I remember reading that this may be a problem but I cannot find that particular thread.
    Jim 134 posted a link to that study in several threads. Here's one of them:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...upply-question

The document itself is here:
    http://www.beeculture.com/content/BeeSpaceArticle.pdf
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Jim 134 posted a link to that study in several threads. Here's one of them:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...upply-question

The document itself is here:
    http://www.beeculture.com/content/BeeSpaceArticle.pdf
    Thanks!!!

I run all mediums. I have some Brushy Mountain boxes with some of their frames, and lots of Kelley boxes. This winter I ordered 100 mediums from Mann Lake. Whatever I have, I only use commercial or budget. I use all foundationless frames from Kelley. I introduce drawn comb or use foundation inside two or three of Kelley's slotted top bar frames - to get the bees to build straight. So it's all mix and match all over the place. Aside from some bridge comb between boxes from time to time, I don't have any trouble that can't be handled fairly easily. That's what I love about Langs - interchangeability.

Few manufacturers' dimensions are perfect matches with others'... I have a bit of a smorgasbord and speak from experience . However like in any beespace consideration, it's more of a problem if you don't have enough comb on during a flow (or a congested brood area during flow) or if you don't examine colonies regularly and maintain them by scraping burr comb before it becomes an issue. If I had to to it ALL over again, I suppose I'd like to have stuck with one manufacturer. But then again I wouldn't trade the experience that led me to my preferred equipment today.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

>Should I be concerned?

I have a 42 year accumulation of equipment from numerous suppliers. Non issue as far as I am concerned. Except for certain frames jam in my Cowan uncapper.

>"That's what I love about Langs - interchangeability."

A more important issue would be your initial choice of box sizes and frame depths. Ten or eight frame boxes? All medium frames or deep brood chambers and shallower supers? Langstroth, Warre or Topbar?