Default swarm left nuc in less than a day

Help. I captured my first swarm last evening. Small swarm from a small tree. Put bees into a 5 frame nuc. Never saw the queen. Left the nuc in the driveway overnight with the entrance completely blocked. Added small jar of sugar water on the top board inside the nuc. Morning check revealed lots of black ants inside the hive clustered around sugar water jar. Cleared out the ants, and moved nuc to permanent location approx 100 yards from driveway, opened the entrance but left queen excluder in front of the entrance.

Noticed bees were not eating sugar water. Checked sugar water level a few hours later. Ants were back and bees were gone. Empty nuc except for ants.

Any idea what may have happened? Did ants force out the weak unestablished hive? What else might cause bees to swarm again? It's over 100+ degrees in location and in a drought.

Default Re: swarm left nuc in less than a day

My estimation is that you didn't get the queen.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

so, short of ensuring I get the queen is there anything I could have done differently?

Don't feed. There's no perfect way to feed. Ants are one of the reasons why. Swarmed bees are loaded with honey anyway. Ants might encourage the swarm to abscond.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Put a frame of brood/eggs, this will help keep them and give them the means to make a new queen if they need one.
    If they are small two frames capped brood (and some eggs) with nurse bees will get them to the size they can defend the hive.

Carpenter ants can bring down a small hive down, they will kill bees one at a time cut them up and bring them home.
    I am going to make some Borax jelly for the ants. MB says. I've always used 1 part borax, 1 part water and 1 part jelly.
    Make sure to keep it away from bees.