Default Shallow super with thin surplus need wires?

Does a shallow super with thin surplus foundation need wires? I put a set of 10 frames on Saturday, checked in this morning and most of the foundation had sagged a bit and the one in the middle had actually collapsed on the next frame. If they do need wire, are they easily removed to cut comb once drawn out and filled?

It's been pretty warm here, 95-100F. I have an inner cover on with a 1 1/2" wide vent hole and have the telescoping cover propped up on that end.

Default Re: Shallow super with thin surplus need wires?

What is the point of using foundation for comb honey? They will draw comb out beautifully without any foundation.

some people like using thin foundation to quicken the drawing out process

Foundation keeps everything straight and even so the cuts fit in the containers nicely. I use pins in the side bars. Also I melt a little wax and tack the foundation at the top bar in 3-4 places if it is very hot out. I have run melted wax all along the top bar (where the foundation meets the bar) before, but cleaning the frames for the next year was a bigger job.

This was my first year experimenting with shallows for cut comb. I used pins with wedge top frames, but found that there was a difference between suppliers of "thin surplus". There was a visible difference in the thickness between the two. Two supers had collapsed within a couple days while the others held up and got drawn perfectly. I just wish I could remember which suppliers foundation worked well. It could also have had to do with bee density and how quickly they drew it out, or not, and could very well have collapsed under the weight of the bees I suppose. I may not have been able to push the wedge tight enough to hold the thinner foundation in place. Now if they'd just finish capping I'd be a happy camper!

Thanks beedeetee and strikestrip. I understand it is desirable to have the foundation thin for the comb honey, maybe it works better earlier in the year rather than the heat of summer.

I'll see how the remaining foundation holds up and remove as necessary.