Default Ligustrums and Watermelon Crape Myrtles

This morning I saw many honey bees working Ligustrums (no blooms). Looked like they were working Aphids(?), nearby the bees were working a large, in bloom, watermelon color Crape Myrtle. First time for me to see bees working a not in bloom plant. Also a bit unusual to see bees working the Myrtles. Hot, wet summer here, many weeds blooming, my three hive's bees have been packing in the pollen, between rain showers.

Default Re: Ligustrums and Watermelon Crape Myrtles

Honeydew?

That must be what they are working because there are zero blooms. Got me to looking at blooming plants, later along the roadside I stopped to look at some wild blue flowers. Bumblebees were piercing the flowers at the base! Have read about that but is my first to see.

In our area, bees will work aphids during the dearth following the main spring flow. This honey can have very bad flavor with a strong aftertaste. My bees work Crape myrtle trees heavily for pollen. The pollen from the Crape myrtle comes a week prior to the nectar from the cotton plants and really give the bees a second wind.