Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Survivor bees vs regular stock and mite counts

No, they seem to be dry as a bone inside in the winter, excepting the occasional leaky lid. I believe it is due to having both upper and lower entrances, a little chimney effect. I don't have anything specific to back that assertion though, just a hypothesis. But no, no issues with condensation.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    Even vegetarians like bacon!!
    I know some "vegetarians" that eat bacon, and I know meat eaters that don't. What a mind f-er to me! How can someone not like bacon? And now back to the bees...

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    No, they seem to be dry as a bone inside in the winter, excepting the occasional leaky lid. I believe it is due to having both upper and lower entrances, a little chimney effect. I don't have anything specific to back that assertion though, just a hypothesis. But no, no issues with condensation.
    I wonder if it is you climate as well. Last winter I used top entrances, insulated tops, windbreaks and reduced entrances. I did not lose any hives in the winter (one lost late fall due to queen failure that I missed), but I did have moisture issues such as vapor frost at all the entrances. With out the insulated tops I am convinced the cover would ice over and drip on the cluster. But I am in a colder climate than you (13 F on average).
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456