Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default tap water and mixing sugar water. don't work!

Do u guys mix sugar
    water w/o heating it
    up?
    Bought bulk sugar from
    a guy and I asked him if
    he heats up his water
    before adding the sugar
    and he said no! Just
    add sugar to tap water
    and mix it with the
    mixer on the drill.
    Tried it! I seem to not
    get all the sugar mixed
    up! There is some still
    on the bottom.
    I am mixing 1 to 1.
    I am doing 3 gal to 25
    lbs of sugar

Default Re: tap water and mixing sugar water. don't work!

At 1:1 warm water from the tap works just fine.

At 2:1 hot water from the tap works just fine for me too.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

just use hot tap water for 1 to 1 also.

I will sometimes set mine out in the sun on the blacktopped driveway, to get the sugar to fully dissolve. Keep the bucket covered.

I mix mine with cold water from outside faucet. Mix in buckets and set in sun. After a little time the sun will melt the remaining sugar. It seems to me that some brands of sugar will dissolve better than others........

I first dump the right amount of sugar into the mixing container, and then add half the amount of water hot out of the tap. I then mix and dissolve it, and then add the rest of the water cold from the tap. Makes it a good temp for the bees.

I use a 1 gallon milk jug and pour in a 4 lb. bag of sugar and 4 lbs of water. Shake, shake, shake. Then I wait 30 minutes or so and shake again. Usually the sugar is all dissolved. Sometimes I leave it overnight and shake it one more time before putting it in the top feeders the next morning. I am guessing that I will need to use hot water when I start using 2-1 this fall.

I use cold water in a ICB tote. It just requires good agitation. I use a mortar mixer and I get completely dissolved sugar. [1:1]

I use hot tap water. My cold water does not work for me either.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

Any hot liquid will tend to dissolve anything faster than the same liquid at room temperature. Depending on the material being dissolved and the concentration, precipitates may form as the liquid cools. If you stir a not-excessive amount of sugar into room temperature water, it will eventually dissolve into it completely.

I remember my grade-school chemistry teacher showing us how, if you heated up water, it would take more sugar, and then you could cool it down and, if you didn't over-do it, it would remain in solution. He explained that you can "force" things to take up a higher-concentrated solution in that manner, and in any case the sugar obviously dissolved much faster. I thought it was interesting.

(And, 'round here this time of year, you're making your sweet ice "sun" tea by the gallon anyhow ... )
    Last edited by mrobinson; 07-19-2012 at 08:56 AM.

If I mix my sugar water the day before I use hot tap water. If I mix it and serve it up the same day I use cold tap water. however, it does take more stirring time when I use the cold tap water.

I used to mix with hot tap water but never liked the results, now I heat it up and stir constantly until just starting to boil, sugar will dissolve allot nicer and doesn't get moldy as fast.
    Grow shrubs & trees,...it's good for bees!

I always heat my water it takes very little time.
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

When I make beer I boil the water and then let it cool to the right temp to remove any added Chlorine from the treated water.

I did the same when making syrup for the same reason...I also like to add a tea bag or two of camomile tea and a pinch of sea salt per gallon of mix. I also only use that organic hippy cane sugar (they sell it at Costco now I believe but bulk from the local organic store is just as cheap) as recommended by other beekeepers in my area. I dought that the chlorine is a problem but it is habit and I have the equipment (large pots) so it is not a problem. Def heat the water up for the tea bag and ease of melting the sugar though.

I should also add that I do it on a small scale as I only have three hives.....

I have a 15 gallong igloo water cooler with the spout at the bottom I pulled the spout out and ran a 1/2 inch line through it with a ball valve and a clear hose hanging off of it.I pou 50 cups of surgar and 50 cups of water in it and use hose water and a drill to mix it, I mix it 2 mintes let it sit then go back for couple minutes and off to the hives I go 30 of them

For 1:1 hot tap water works for us.
    Dan

I just set the hot water heater at 140 and it works great.

You have to watch what kind of sugar you buy make sure it is pure cane sugar and not beet sugar beet sugar is a man made product and there are some chemicals that can cause the bees to deyhrate . I always thought sugar was sugar then the old timer that mentors me pointed out the differance it does make a differance sorry about my spelling.

11.myth: Sugar from beets is different from cane sugar(less...)

There’s little perceptible difference between sugar from sugar beets and sugar from sugar cane. Sugar cane generally tolerates warmer climates better than sugar beets, and the extraction of sugar is a different process in each. Sugar cane has a longer production process in which it is crushed and treated with a liquid before the sugary syrup is separated in a centrifuge. Beets are sliced, and then the sugar is extracted in a hot water diffuser before being refined.

The end result for the human body is the same either way. Sugar is sugar. Whether it comes from cane, beets, or corn, your body will digest it the same way.

This is a quote that I found and I have heard this several times before.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    11.myth: Sugar from beets is different from cane sugar(less...)

There’s little perceptible difference between sugar from sugar beets and sugar from sugar cane. Sugar cane generally tolerates warmer climates better than sugar beets, and the extraction of sugar is a different process in each. Sugar cane has a longer production process in which it is crushed and treated with a liquid before the sugary syrup is separated in a centrifuge. Beets are sliced, and then the sugar is extracted in a hot water diffuser before being refined.

The end result for the human body is the same either way. Sugar is sugar. Whether it comes from cane, beets, or corn, your body will digest it the same way.

This is a quote that I found and I have heard this several times before.

12.Myth: they may seem the same until you take it down to the molecular level......Atoms from corn are way different then atoms from Cane. They are NOT the same and digestion does not happen the same. Wrong place for this discussion though........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast