Default Still weak hive?

Got this bees and new hive the 1st of may.Had a poor queen,since Im new didnt no what to really do.But I requeened a month ago,and she is laying pretty good. They are in 10 frame med western frames, two boxes with capped brood, lava and eggs plus honey and pollen.Thinking about making two nucs out of the 10 frame uint, by putting plywood wood in middle of box boxes to seperate .Do this in all three boxes and close up bottom entrance, and putting entrance on the sides.Then i could keep the queen i just brought but I would have to requeed the other half.Would this work well to over winter them?Would like to hear your ideas> Thanks

Default Re: Still weak hive?

Sounds misguided. If they're weak you might place in nuc to give them less space to keep warm in winter. Be sure you have drawn comb in the upper boxes for them to place stored honey. Since flow is about finished, would not expect them to draw much wax or produce more honey in the next 2 months (unless you have good goldenrod flow in your area). Watch your stores and consider feeding if they're getting light. Good luck and let us know what you decide and your experience.

But I can make double nuc out of the 10 frame box I got now, just put the brood and honey on both sides of plywood divided board i put in there.So I will make two nucs out of a 10 frame hive.Keeping the divided in center all the way up to the top cover.

My point is that it's getting late in the bee year to get a nuc started. You have better possibility getting them through winter by keeping all of the bees and one queen. Safer to split next Spring during the flow. The size of the colony and box for overwintering will depend on the number of bees for the cluster and stores available. Splits work better during nectar flow when there is nutrition for brood-rearing, comb building, and honey production. None of those will be very strong this late in the season without a strong nectar flow. Good luck.

Thanks Jim sounds good to me. Appreciate the help.

would probably work not sure how well a division board will work for you, would need one for each box so you could remove each half of the frames and then remove the box and still maintain seperate chambers in the lower boxes. probably want to feed to get them built up for winter.

Thanks, just something Ive been thinking about.If the girls dont build up.Havent stopped feeding.

Feed em sugar water, pollen patty, make sure water is available and they will turn on, sugar water (add just a pinch of sea salt ) helps em digest the sugar somewhat better. The the girls get the idea they have to get it on, they will.

Ive also beem giveing hony b health with there sugar water,does that help with the digestion of sugar water?

HBH seems to help , also sets up robbing. Getting dry and bees are hoarders, whether it is theirs or the neighboring hive.