Default feeding questions

I have 2 new hives started from nucs. I ve been feeding them since i got them in may. The first brood box is almost full, about 2 frames left. they really arent eating the syrup. i have had a quart jar in the an empty hive body and it has been a week and 1/2 and its only down about 1 inch. should I quit, how long till syrup goes bad. I smelled the syrup after a week and it seemed fine. Any suggestions, i was told to feed them all summer but is that a normal length of time for the quart to last? both hives are doing the same thing. The hives seem healthy and happy. I plan to run 2 brood boxes, should I, in NC ?Lots of questions, I know, Open to any ideas or suggestions. Mike D

Default Re: feeding questions

do you just have the basic hive body? or a super on it? what percentage of each is filled with brood or honey? hard to guess what is going on,, IF you have 6-8 frames with brood,, and honey on the others,, and you do not have a super on,, PUT ONE ON,, the super is THEIRS, and if they want to fill it with sugar honey, thats fine they can live off that,, but if they do not have honey stored,, keep feed on them

If they aren't taking the syrup and it is not spoiled, they are getting something they like better. I don't know if you need to run two hive bodies in your location. You need to find out what the beekeepers in your area do. That would be the best guide. Just keep an eye on them and don't let them run out of stored food.

I usually prefer anything from two mediums (or a deep and a shallow) up to three mediums (two deeps), and I'm in a comparable area. You can get away with one deep if you want, but I like to have a little insurance.

As far as feeding goes, I'm surprised they stopped taking it. The Piedmont of NC is going through a dearth right now, and all of my bees are consuming about a half a gallon a day. But, if they aren't taking it I wouldn't be concerned. The bees always know best.

And sugar syrup will stay good as long as it's clear. When you start seeing mold growing in it (usually black, and usually occurs at the 'surface' of the syrup) it's time to toss it out. You can toss in a little HBH or bleach to help keep it sterile, but I've found the HBH causes horrible robbing issues in a dearth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeltempered View Post
    The first brood box is almost full, about 2 frames left.
    You have been feeding them for three months and they only have 8 frames drawn in a single deep box? That seems real slow to me. I have nucs I installed May 5th that have two deeps, a medium all drawn and filled and they are just working on a shallow now. I only fed mine for the first four weeks as well.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Hbh?

Yea i thought it was slow too. i dont think my nucs really had that many bees from the start. I had a beekeeper come to my house who has had bees for 70 years and he said everything looked fine just needed the bees to populate. So im just letting them do their thing.

You're doing fine just stay the course...Each hive moves at it's own pace...If they don't take your feed and it is not spoiled that means they are getting nectar and they are happy...Keep an eye on them, and I like to run with 2 deeps for the extra insurance as well, but the montana man gave you good advice...A bit colder in my neck of the woods.

Wow! I started with 2 nucs on April 16 this spring. Now they have grown to three full hives. Each hive consists of 3 eight frame mediums.
    I even harvested 30lbs. of honey from them in early July. I fed them syrup until middle May.I also just made up two 4 frame nucs from them to winter on top of them. I am
    in central Missouri. It has been over 90 for the past 22 days with no rain. I just started feeding them again 2 weeks again. Each hive is taking about a quart a day now. DRY, DRY, DRY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeltempered View Post
    Hbh?
    HBH Honey-b-Healthy it is added to sugar water Marketed as a feeding stimulant with essential oils...I have used it seems to help keep the feed last longer and the bees seem to take it up a bit quicker....