Hybrid View

Default Leave comb from cut-out in box?

The comb may contain brood and honey necessary to start off the hive, but I am worried that the bees may ignore the frames. I just got the cut-out yesterday, so should I wait? How long should I keep it in there for for them to start off the hive healthily but to prevent them from expanding on the cut-out comb?

Default Re: Leave comb from cut-out in box?

Why wouldn't you want them to expand on cut out comb? It is tied into frames right? So let them go foundationless and allow a regression to small cells.

all I've got at the moment are frames with foundation, which I want to use to make simpler my first year at beekeeping

I have done a couple different things.

Sometimes if I can cut the comb and keep the upright orientation, I will rubberband it in to some frames. As soon as the brood hatches out, but before the queen lays again, I ditch that comb and put in foundation.

Another thing I have done (easier but more annoying) is to just set the comb upright in between frames of foundation. The bees will tack it on to one side of the foundation and it will hold it up. Once again, as soon as the majority of the brood hatches out, I scraped it off the foundation and ditch it.

From what I have seen, it will take a bit longer for them to start building out the foundation, but they will do it. Try the ol' sugar water spray on the foundation if you want.

I have some wax without any brood or honey in it and I rolled it into a small ball by kneading it with my fingers. I placed that inside the hive. Can they use it to build wax in the hive?

I have seen evidence in my hives that they will chew up some old wax and start building with it, but to a very very limited extent. Most often after a few days, they will ignore the pieces of wax left on the bottom board and build out with new comb.

I would just leave the ball in there for a couple days, and remove it. You can melt down the wax once you pull out the old comb and the brood hatches out also. Keep that around in case you need to attach foundation to frames or for other random household uses.

I just molded about 5# of wax that I've acquired from cutouts and am preparing to sell it in 1 ounce pieces.