Default hives just won't put on weight, drought is tough

hives just won't put on weight, drought is tough. I been feeding syrup but it doesnt seem to help much. Some hives don't even seem to want to take syrup. What is the best thing to do in a severe drought.

Default Re: hives just won't put on weight, drought is tough

Sorry your bees are struggling. Are your providing water for them or is there a water source nearby?

During our dought, I placed a shallow bin (packed with pinestraw) full of sugar water, about 100yds from the hives. The frames began to fill up and get capped much quicker.

I got a bird bath with 20 yards and a fountain with 20 yards. I also got a pool across the road and a lake on 2 sides of my house. I really think I might loose all of my hives this year because I think they are getting lighter every week now!

I just don't like feeding in the open and feeding the neighbors and the feral colonies myself. I would feed internally for sure so robbing doesn't get started. I like 3 qts of syrup in a gallon zip lock bag. set it on the top bars and put two small slits in the top of the air bubble after you lay it down. The bag must be fuly supported by the top bars and the hive needs to be fairly level. A wee drop of lemon grass oil in the syrup will make the bees take it faster if that is what you want. I put the LGO in a used coke bottle with a cup of syrup and a tablespoon of soy lethicin granules from GNC. Shake H out of the bottle and mix it in whatever you are filling the baggies out of. About five drops in a five gallon bucket is all you need to ensure rapid intake. Don't be sloppy and spill it as it will encourage robbing.

We had a major drought last summer. I remember being jealous every day when Id look at the weather and see people 300 miles north of us complaining about too much rain. this year we are getting showers many days and Im not complaining....I can't imagine ever complaining about rain.
    Last summer I had to feed about half of my hives throughout the summer and fall just to get them through. I just dont know of any easy answers.
    Good luck
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Are you feeding pollen as well or they bringing some in?

up until the last week we had pollen coming in, now none. Probably start feeding megabee I guess.

Yea, I am in the same boat, but my hives are taking 1:1 syrup ok, just treading water though. I left most of the spring honey crop on