Thread: SHBs and Light

Hybrid View

Default SHBs and Light

If SHBs dislike light (aka SBBs) why not insert a small LED light on the inner cover? It is true that bees prefer dark but they will accept a lighted colony. I have seen exposed comb following storm damage where the bees were stilll prefectly happy. Maybe a translusient cover?
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

Default Re: SHBs and Light

I have a Lexan cover on my hive - 1/4" thick - and then a spacer section with the telescoping cover on that. I know that light comes in around the Lexan - and when I take off the outer cover and look in thru the lexan I can almost always see a SHB or two hiding between the end of the frame tab and the box - there is about a 1/16-1/8" gap there and the bees can't quite get at the SHB's that hide there. My bees do propolize up the gaps (they may have entombed some SHB's too

Bottom line is that the SHB may prefer dark, but I don't think the light bothers them enough to keep them away...

SHB and moths are nocturnal fliers.
    I build a solar powered LED light that comes on at dusk and shines all night. I mount it on the outside of the box, above the entrance hole. It is still in the testing stage and I need to work on the dependability a little before I offer it for public sale. You can build your own of course.
    Regards
    Joe

Is the light supposed to keep the beetles away? Beetles might be nocturnal flyers but they fly in the daytime, too, I don't think light will be a deterrence to them. Have you tried one of those $2 solar powered garden lights work for your experiment? Seems they're a ready-built cheap light that could be hacked pretty easily.

Ed

Ed,
    According to Wikipedia the WM and the SHB fly only at and/or after dusk.
    I have opened a hive and seen them run from the light. So it is my opinion that they do not normally fly during the day. It is logical then to assume that they would not fly into a patch of light that was centered on a hive entrance.
    I cannot find a $2 light. I did find a $12 light that could be modified. It lasted two weeks and is on my bench undergoing a Post Mortum.
    Regards
    Joe

I'm having a really hard time imagining this light working to prevent the beetles and especially moths. I'm sure everyone has heard the phrase "Like a moth to the flame".

I'm just thinking this light would have the exact opposite effects of what you are hoping for. I'm sure FL isn't that much different from TN and I know I've got about a billion moths flying around my porch light at night. I'm thinking a light on your hive would attract more nocturnal insects than it would repel. Have you read any info on this theory before or is this just an idea you came up with on your own? If for some reason it did actually work it would be a very inexpensive way to help against these two pests.... for the time being I'm just not thinking this will work.