Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Inspection May 10, 2013

Good grief-- those are big beautiful combs of honey!

WOW!!!!! nice looking frames of comb,honey and bees.................TONS of information to help ignorant beeks such as myself................thanks for passing on ALL of the knowledge.....

My wife took some pictures yesterday. The quality is not high, because the light wasn't so good, but I thought this was a pretty frame of new brood:

And this is a frame of older brood that the bees have made into pollen storage. I can't get over the richness of the colors. It's like some kind of beautiful old brocade. One of these days I'm going to send a better shot like this to my daughter the artist, and see what she makes of it:

Attached Images Attached Images

OOOO
    really nice pictures and comb just perfect! Second picture is quite impressive - full of bees! Fresh capped brood always amused me - it has this velvet soft caps.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Default Re: Horizontal hive inspection May 27, 2013

Today, I was trying to remove vertical extension from my horizontal hive, remaining of my unsuccessful split, which is now mostly honey. It was experimental and 1.3x deep (Hx1.3). Previously I had a problem - honeycomb fell because of weight. Today, I discovered the same problem (slightly smaller). So,finally, I rescued 3 full bars and one collapsed. Since, at the end of operation everything was honey, I decided to finish this project later. Since honey everywhere, I had limited ability to take a pictures even girls were very cooperative. The bottom line is that I need to add sides to my bars if I want to use deep boxes. Sides are not necessary for mediums. By the way, 2 frames with honey have sides, which means I've installed them on May 10, now they are full of honey. Tonight I crushed honey comb and spent a few hours rescuing bees stuck in broken comb, still alive. Update: 3 frames = 6 kilos of beautiful raw honey.
    Last edited by cerezha; 05-30-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

I've been considering using a top bar type bar for swarm traps to with short sides to prevent comb attachments to the sides of the boxes. The width would be 1 inch. I was thinking about using 3 inch sides and then using them in mediums if a swarm is captured. The sides would be 1 3/8 inches to give the be space the way a standard lang bar would. Will the stubby sides prevent the bees from attaching comb to the sides of the boxes, or will I need to go longer side?

Well,
    It is a philosophical question - does not matter what we decide, bees may decide differently. In my experience, bees attach (if they wanted) even standard full frames. Thus, I decided to experiment with bars if standard frames sometime did not work as expected. In my case, I need sides for honey-comb stability. Deep-size comb full of honey is just too heavy. I tried 1x9" sides (no bottom) in deep box - bees still occasionally attach it to the walls even with bee-space, but it is much better to manipulate sided bars. My impression is that "old" bee-space did not work as expected - bees behave differently, size of the bee different, management different...
    Thanks for visiting and good luck with your project - I think it should work!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    .. Will the stubby sides prevent the bees from attaching comb to the sides of the boxes, or will I need to go longer side?
    I think it could work - post pictures!
    Серёжа, Sergey

I will. I'm not going to be using them this year, so it will be a while.

Default Re: Horizontalhive fate June 11, 2013

The plan was to try to remove the vertical attachment (super ?) to the horizontal hive. It did not work as planned - first, my tool to cut wax between wall and comb broke and second ANOTHER honeycomb collapsed... So, I have a lot of honey, but it is difficult to get it. Meantime, girls are working hard in all directions. The bar with the brood was damaged by my tool. I hate this gigantic bars, could not wait to remove them. Interestingly, ~20% shorter (real deep size) in horizontal part of the hive are doing great - no problem at all!
    Last edited by cerezha; 06-13-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Default Re: Horizontalhive fate June 11, 2013

Wow Sergey, your bees and comb and honey look wonderful, you are doing something right! I could just bite right into that comb it looks so GOOD!

Default Re: Horizontalhive fate June 11-25, 2013

Well
    I have to admit - the girls won!!!! I was in full preparedness today to remove this deep box from the top of horizontal hive ...well, as you could see, it did not work at all! Instead they got a medium on the top of the deep
    Серёжа, Sergey

Just got back from a month in the North Country, and checked my horizontal boomer. That hive is capping a lot of honey-- I took my first frame of honey and got almost 2 quarts of honey from it. The bees made that frame way too fat, and there were so many other frames of honey that I couldn't resist.

Anyway, picture of the long hive open:

And a frame of foundationless almost completely capped honey:

Look at this! Amusing!!!!!
    My girls have made honeycomb very thick too!
    Last edited by cerezha; 06-28-2013 at 03:56 AM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

The reinvention of the "tub hive" ink:

http://www.immenfreunde.de/docs/Karl...120_script.pdf

Basically, it is similar to what I have now, just a box, long hive (with vertical attachment). I do not understand, why it's called "tub-hive"? By the way, how is your bees, Bernhard?
    Last edited by cerezha; 06-28-2013 at 03:55 AM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Bees doing well. One apiary was suffering from pesticide spraying. Canola got sprayed with Thiacloprid. During full blossoming and sunshine. Thiacloprid was found in the pollen from those bees in laboratory tests. Bees recover right now. Hope not to loose all of them since they were weakened pretty much. First loosing all the flight bees on one day, then some brood but not much. One queen failed and was superseded. (Young queen from 2012, was pretty strong before.) Removed all pollen and bee bread, dumped the honey.

But in all other apiaries the bees do well.

Default Small inspection, July 16, 2013

I just checked on my bees and collected some 10 kilos of gorgeous honey.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Default Re: Small inspection, July 16, 2013

I harvested a couple more frames of honey from the big hive:

newcomb2.jpg

This was the prettiest comb yet, I think.

Default Re: Small inspection, July 16, 2013

DANG!!!!! yall make a man wanna like the screen

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast