Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Foundationless and (some) frameless honey in Santa Monica, July 16, 2012

Very nice Sergey! I would like to get into my hives but it is too cold in Houston right now. I have a NUC/rescued hive I hope makes it through the winter. They have been taking about 1 pint a week in 1:1 with HBH and active foraging, but have abandoned most of the comb from the rescue that I put in foundationless frames with rubber bands.
    Have a wonderful holiday season!
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Default Re: Foundationless and (some) frameless honey in Santa Monica, July 16, 2012

[QUOTE=mmmooretx;875013...I have a NUC/rescued hive I hope makes it through the winter. ...[/QUOTE] I hope so! Thanks for comments and have also wonderfull holiday season! Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

My horizontal TB-Lang hybrid hive is blooming. Today weather permitted to do a quick inspection. The box is full of bees. They needed to be split but I am not sure what is the situation with drones. Girls made a beautiful comb and filled it with nectar and brood. To my surprise, bees were not aggressive at all. Sorry for the quality of the pictures - I damaged honey comb during the inspection and we had quite a mess, bees and hone everywhere... normal life. I also collected 7 frames of honey. Sergey
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Серёжа, Sergey

Very Nice Sergey! The last 3 weeks I have been doing my garden set up, but the girls have been all over the Borage I planted, about 3 plants currently blooming. I really want to do some hive inspections but my garden work has to be done in between the rains here. The Sat. the girls were out in force, 71F, and coming back with their legs looking like cheerleader pom poms! My 3 main hives look very healthy from the front porch activity, but am still concerned over the recovered/rescued hive (still small), but there is still activity there. Hopefully in the next two weeks I can do a hive inspection and capture some video/pictures. However I may wait until my order from Country Rubes arrives, now waiting on Income Tax Return (already filed). I am adding two 10 frame med. only hives to see how that goes. I pick up my package bees from BeeWeaver on 6 April and I am really looking forward to this as it will be my first package install. I am doing two at my place and one more for a friend in a TBH I built for them.
    Best of luck this season my friend!
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Few more frames without foundation - some from my horizontal hive utilizing deep-frame dimensions. Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

Are the bees not attaching the combs to the floor of the box? or the sides?

Hi
    If the frame sit in the beehive for long period of time (more than 2-3 months) than "girls" start doing re-modeling. At this point, everything is possible, but normally they do not attach comb to the bottom for sure (screened bottom) and rare attach comb to the sides. Keep in mind - we are in Southern California, we have no winter and bees worked year around. This approach works the best when you introduce a new frame between two already established. I basically, do checker-boarding. Thanks for the visiting. Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

Im In the cayman islands and I am thinking about capturing a wild hive.
    I only have 1 extra langstroth box to work with so i was thinking of having one of the boxes frameless.
    One of the brood boxes will have frames that i will cut out the comb and put them into along with the bees.
    As i am leaving to go back to school and I wont be checking the hive for another 2 months what do you think they will do if I just leave them with an empty second body to work into?
    I'm thinking about putting the boxes under the cut out comb framed box.
    What do you think will happen in the time before I return?

Thanks alot for your help my friend.

Hi
    I do not think anything good happened - when beehive is just establishing, it needs to be watched quite often. I had bad experience when added an empty box - it was only one time ever when girls made a comb under 45 degree to the frames. I think, in general, bees do no like completely empty box. I have the best results when I add empty frames one by one, not entire empty box. If you limited in hardware (boxes, frames etc) I would suggest to use top-bar hive (TBH) - it is very easy to build and it utilizes foundationless design. The issue with not-straight comb will be similar to Lang, but it seems to me, bees tolerate "emptiness" better in TBH. Goodluck with your project. Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

Thanks for the reply.
    What If i checkerboard frames with the cut comb and empty frames with starter strips.
    If i did this in the two brood boxes I have would that work?

I am beginner beekeeper and have limited experience. My feeling is that when hive is establishing, it is better to keep brood area together, without empty frames. Once, bee established (1-2-3 mo?), than you could add more empty frames. During the period of establishing, I think, it is better do not traumatize bees by breaking the nest.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Another option is putting a couple of ladders in the bottom hive box so you don't have to open it up later on. A ladder can be an old comb or a frame with foundation or a topbar with foundation attached to it.

Default Re: Foundationless and (some) frameless honey in Santa Monica, 2013 season

This season,my bees prefer horizontal hive. Vertical "attachment" to it was my unsuccessful attempt to split the hive. It did not work, as a result - bees got extra space. Now this space 100% full with nectar. There are 2 empty frames in the horizontal part. Looks like, girls are busy.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Default Re: Foundationless and (some) frameless honey in Santa Monica, 2013 season

Fascinating approach to bee keeping and beautiful pictures. I get my first bees on March 30th. I can't wait to become an active part of this community.

All my bees are busy these days making more comb and hopefully more brood.
    Серёжа, Sergey

I learned how to use a hair-clip on youtube. It works great. I used it to make the comb straight.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Awesome idea. Write a book and I want to be the first to buy a copy. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer128 View Post
    Fascinating approach to bee keeping and beautiful pictures. I get my first bees on March 30th. I can't wait to become an active part of this community.
    O, thank you so much for nice words! Good luck with your bees ... and be advised - it is addictive!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer128 View Post
    Awesome idea. Write a book and I want to be the first to buy a copy. :-)
    Thank you, but Michael Bush already wrote THE BOOK:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    I learned how to use a hair-clip on youtube. It works great. I used it to make the comb straight.
    Sergey, I have also used the hairclip trick and like it. Your hive is looking well, as always. I got a video camera and have been doing the learning curve. I did some filming of hive inspections, but lost almost all of what I thought was being recorded. I got a camera with bluetooth remote control so I was using my phone for the remote on/off (record) but as soon as the signal was lost record turned off. This probably happened when I set the phone on the hive top to get into the hive. Oh well knowing this I should have some soon. I am getting 3 package bee sets on 6 Apr. and will film that as I am going to all med. super boxes on those 3 hives. I hope to get into the others before then as I have already put supers on the other 3 that have 2 deeps each. All 3 are building comb in the supers and it is interesting to see which one is building faster. The funny thing is that my "weakest" hive of the 3 is building the fastest, but I need to see what is going on in the bottom deep on that hive.
    Later my friend, pictures soon.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast