Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Default Re: My new top-bar design in deep-format

thank you for your so thorough reply Sergey, it's just my first month into beekeeping and I do have a lot to learn. I'm currently using foundations and will continue to do so until I learn enough, but will of course start learning and will closely follow your good lead

Good luck Jackson with your bees - post pictures!
    Серёжа, Sergey

The frames look wonderful....

Default Re: Inspection May 10, 2013

Beautiful!

Ooo
    Thank you. I'll tell bees.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all beekeepers and bees!
    My bees are doing very well. They produced quite a bit of honey and enjoyed Christmas decorations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Серёжа, Sergey

Default Inspection Jan 28 2014 Happy New Year by the way!

Hello
    It's confirmed that Spring is in our area - wild California Lilac is blooming in my native California plants garden! Bees are very exited!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Default Re: Inspection Jan 28 2014 Happy New Year by the way!

Myself and bees are doing well. We are treatment-free and it is ours 4th (? I do not remember!) season So far, bees are healthy, there is no indication of any problems as far as I can tell. My horizontal hive was slow for a while. I attributed this to old (original!!!!) queen - the mother of all beehives around. Girls were reluctant to replace her but they did it a few weeks ago (I think so - I was not introduced yet to Her Majesty). So, the horizontal hive is catching up:
    Серёжа, Sergey

Default Re: Inspection Jan 28 2014

Interesting story was happened with another vertical hive, which is situated on the roof - my garden is too small for all my girls
    This hive was robbed - literally all bees were killed in the fight, but they do not let robbers inside the hive! Very honorable bees! I was so disgusted with myself (that I did not noticed earlier) - I just left hive "as is." Than, a few weeks later I noticed some activity in the hive - new bees find a new home Few months later it is booming! We started from single medium box and today I added 5th! Probably I need to split this "house." On the pictures before and now just before adding 5th box.
    Last edited by cerezha; 01-28-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

That is really wonderful Sergey, could it be a new colony or maybe a few workers and the queen survived the robbery and started rebuilding themselves, but when they were weakened by the robbery weren't you worried wax moth would go in and destroy the combs left behind?

last story for today is my little nuc, which was created from nothing. It is strange story - when we moved beehive to my neighbor, some bees refused to relocate and keep returning to my place. We gave them empty nuc and returned back to their new home. we kept doing so for literally a week. Nevertheless, at the end, I find a pathetic tiny group of bees getting ready to spend night on the roof (another roof!). It was so pitiful picture - I placed a nuc-box next to them and they quickly get inside the box. It was the beginning a tiny colony. Somehow they got a mother, the queen - I find a tiny capped brood a few weeks later. I supported them by giving a bar of uncapped brood twice, but it was after they had normal (not workers) capped brood. It is a mystery! Anyway, now it is respectful 6-bar nuc in full-size box and growing! Unfortunately, I have no pictures of their beginning because I did inspections very quickly to protect them from cold. First pic is 2-3 months ago, second one - today.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    ... weren't you worried wax moth would go in and destroy the combs left behind?
    Hi Jackson! Nice to hear form you!
    Probably it could happens, but I was so disturbed by this accident, that I simply did not think about wax-moth (AND SHB)... At the time I decided to disassemble the hive - it was already occupied to my great surprise! I like your idea that queen survived and rebuild the colony - this way I could feel less quilt Have a great bee-season!
    Серёжа, Sergey

I love all these photos. It is my intent to begin next spring and start foundationless. I am quite excited, and these photographs make me want to do it even more.

Teal
    Imagine you are tasting your own honey! This is the best part of beekeeping - untouched, fresh, totally organic (hopefully) honey from your bees! Everybody, who tried our honey - do not buy honey in the store anymore. Pure, natural wax candles as a Christmas gift were great too! Smells - fantastic! plus as a byproduct - the mead plus propolis for medicinal use ....
    Серёжа, Sergey

Nice photos cerezha thanks for sharing

You are very welcome, Allan. Do you have bees? How they are?
    Серёжа, Sergey

I'm getting my first package of bees next month and i'm planning to start out with foundationless frames have already got the hives and frames.just hope that my frames turn out as nice as yours.

Hello Sergey if I may ask, how long does it take you to inspect a hive? How long for each box?

Hi Jackson
    It is tough question - bees teach me (hard way) that they prefer less inspection. I "diagnose" the hive by observing its outside activity, how many bees, do they bring pollen (brood), drones, pests etc. Thus, I touch the nest only if there is some indication that it needs attention. Typically, open beehive once in 2-3 weeks - check honey situation in upper boxes, it took 5 min or less. If there is less than 30-40% space available for storage, I chekerboard and remove extra honey - it could take another 5 min (you need to have spare frames and box for honey ready). After ~10 min in beehive, my girls are getting agitated and it is time to close the hive. If I feel that nest needs attention, I do it in two steps - 1st as above, do everything necessary for the boxes above the nest. Close the hive. A few days later - get everything ready, quickly remove honey boxes and cover with heavy fabric and then carefully, very gentle disassemble the nest - bees are obviously unhappy. Still, I think, for my bees, 10 min is a limit - after that all girls are outside flying everywhere.

I noticed that managing bees in the long hive is much-much easier and less traumatic for bees. In horizontal hive I have no problem disassembling the nest during every inspection - there is no need for this. Those large beautiful combs are from the horizontal beehive.

Good luck with your bees!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Hello Sergey,

What are your indications that they need more attention and for you to go into the nest?
    When you don't disturb the nest won't there be so much burr combs and honey combs stuck to the hive wall making it harder and taking more time to inspect it?
    The reason I ask is because I take so much time to check and am looking for ways to speed up , I really appreciate your input

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast