Default Queen cell on drone comb?

Today when inspecting my hives I discovered that one of them has no eggs/larvae, couldn't find queen, and then I found 3 supercedure cells on a green Pierco drone frame. Is there any way they would have tried to raise a queen from a drone larvae, or could the queen have laid fertilized eggs there? Should I give them a frame of brood from the other hive?

Default Re: Queen cell on drone comb?

Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as "drone comb." Bees can, and will, create cells as-needed to raise workers, drones, or queens. If you find no eggs/larvae, you can surmise that "The Queen is Dead: Long Live the Queen," and that the bees are right now doing something about it ... they're raising a new queen, and giving themselves 3 candidates for the job of Monarch. It's up to you whether to move a frame of brood over. Is there any brood there now?

Very, very little capped brood, about one half of a frame all together (1 side only). But they only have 5 frames drawn out. The other has the same amount of drawn comb, but it's 1/3 - 1/2 brood.

If you have supercedure cells then the bees are taking care of business. If you want to find a comb from another hive that has eggs, tht would be a safety net. Try and find the tiniest, freshest laid eggs you can find. Brood will only increase population, the larvae need to be 3 days old or less to be reared into a queen. Thats why it is best to find eggs, they haven't even hatched so you would be ahead of the curve.