Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

9 Frame Spacer

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  squarepeg 
#1 ·
I extracted for the first time Saturday. I think I want to try to use 9 frames next year. My intention is to get the comb to stick out more so I can better use the hot knife.

What is your experience using a 9 frame spacer in a 10 frame hive? Does it work as planned? Lots of thick honey comb that protrudes out from the frame?

thanks

#3 ·
When I give the hive a super with foundation, I use ten. It seems like they draw the comb better....without as many bridges and more evenly. When giving them frames with drawn comb, I use 9 for much the same reason as you want.

#4 ·
My suggestion .. forget the spacer.

They can get gunked up with propolis and wax which makes the frames more difficult to remove. The end bars are in a cradle and you cannot slide them sideways with your hive tool to break the seal.

Just space the 9 or 8 frames out evenly in the box. Also, if you decide to go back to 10 frames in that box there is nothing you need to remove. For me it keeps things simple and allows adaptability. That's just my preference, everyone has their own management style they are comfortable with.

#8 ·
1+ not using the nail in spacers. i spent a lot of time last year putting them in, and twice as much time this year taking them out.

the biggest problem is that they give small hive beetles too much sanctuary. and it is harder to get the frames out as mentioned above.

i just eyeball the spacing for the nine frames in my honey supers, (still use ten in the brood chamber). and yes, your honey combs will get drawn out thicker making them easier to uncap with the knife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.