Hybrid View

Default Is it bad to tip frames with eggs upside down during inspection?

I know to be careful to keep frames with queen cells upright, but are regular brood sensitive too? Thanks!

Default Re: Is it bad to tip frames with eggs upside down during inspection?

They are but they are not as critical a the queen.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I don't worry about it.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

So queen cells have the larva stuck in a bed of jelly hanging vertically and you are thinking worker eggs/larva in royal jelly also may slip out?
    Please worry about something realistic like Varroa or SHB.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Why would you tip them upside down?

I am thinking that if I hold a frame of brood flat and look into the cells to inspect them then the other side of the frame would be upside down. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    So queen cells have the larva stuck in a bed of jelly hanging vertically and you are thinking worker eggs/larva in royal jelly also may slip out?
    Please worry about something realistic like Varroa or SHB.
    Americas Beekeeper is right. Whether it is a queen cell or not, turning the frame upside down briefly during an inspection it not really going to affect the development of the bee. But he fails to remember that many people are new to beekeeping, and have questions that may seem foolish to someone who already knows everything.

I concur Corvair68. Most of the time answers here are kind and new-bee friendly but occasionally they seem harsh. I just like to remind everyone, including me, none of us were born with our bee knowledge we were given it by others most of the time. So while we may have gained our bee knowledge before someone else; they may have been gaining knowledge on other things which we have no clue about....yet.