Thumbs Up _Swarm Intelligence in Honey Bees_

Watched a lecture given by Tom Seeley on UCTV about Swarm Intelligence in Honey Bees. Excellent presentation! He has a follow-up lecture titled _The Flight Guidance Mechanisms of the Bee Swarm_too.....As well as other interesting topics. I strongly recommend these lectures, You won't be disappointed!

Bottom line for the beekeeper baiting for a swarm: Fifteen bees at the lure entrance at one time is a threshold that will likely result in the the swarm choosing that particular location. 'Quorum Sensing' is just one of the interesting terms he introduces (Vox Populi is another), and it has some crossover to the human organism too. An excellent communicator!
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Default Re: _Swarm Intelligence in Honey Bees_

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Watched a lecture given by Tom Seeley on UCTV about Swarm Intelligence in Honey Bees.
    I didn't watch the whole thing but it is very close to his book: Honeybee Democracy. I would have liked this more than the book because it is in video format.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I didn't watch the whole thing but it is very close to his book: Honeybee Democracy. I would have liked this more than the book because it is in video format.
    The _Honey Bee Democracy_ lecture is online at youtube as well, in a short and long versions. Will watch them this week. Ace, the last half of the Swarm Intelligence lecture was the best part, by far, the first part just gives you the foundation you need to understand the big picture and the quorum sensing that goes on.
    LeeB

When I get time I will. Did you read the book? just curious.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Did not read the book, but it sounds like something I would enjoy.
    LeeB