Santa Susana Mountains, Ventura County, California

Default How soon can I release the bees ???

Hi Guys. I just did a cut out from a barn this morning. There were more bees than I had expected for my single 10 frame hive box in which I had placed the comb from their hive onto frames with the bees. I returned this evening to see if they had all gone in and they had not, there was not enough room for them, yay!, so I transferred them into a larger double box and will give them this evening for all of them to find their way in. If I pick them up early in the morning, seal the entrance, can I go ahead at sunrise and release them into the new location? I was originally going to just let them spend the night in the sealed box at the new location and release them in the morning, but because there was so many of them I had to re-box them into another larger hive box with 2 boxes.

Default Re: How soon can I release the bees ???

I would release them as soon as I got them where I want them. They need the ventilation. It is warm where you are, isn't it? Be prepared for stinging though.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

The box sealed up is good for one hour and smoke the entrance when you open it up.On some hives if you know they are going to be moved place a board under the cover with a screen in it .place cover on at new sight.remove screen later when bees are working good

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I would release them as soon as I got them where I want them. They need the ventilation. It is warm where you are, isn't it? Be prepared for stinging though.
    Thanks. The entrance is screened so I think they will have plenty of ventilation. My main concern is them absconding when I remove the screen from the entrance since they will have only been at the new location a couple of hours. I thought I might try the old branch at the entrance technique so they can orient faster to the new area. Any thoughts. It is still cool here until around 9am.

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldhicks View Post
    The box sealed up is good for one hour and smoke the entrance when you open it up.On some hives if you know they are going to be moved place a board under the cover with a screen in it .place cover on at new sight.remove screen later when bees are working good
    Thanks !

An entrance screen is good for a few hours. A screened bottom board and moving screen (screen cover) is good overnight. Keeping them locked up is no assurance against absconding. Ecologically you may set them against that location due to the lack of ventilation. I never screen hives, even for transport inside my vehicle, but I am comfortable around the girls. I have hived many swarms and feral colonies since 1969.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

If you have a queen excluder, you could use it as a queen includer for a week, to prevent any initial absconding. I have done this on new packages, after having one abscond, with good results. Yes, if there are drones, they are contained inside and some will get stuck in the excluder, but I don't think this is really an issue for a one week period.

Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by fly4fun172 View Post
    If you have a queen excluder, you could use it as a queen includer for a week, to prevent any initial absconding. I have done this on new packages, after having one abscond, with good results. Yes, if there are drones, they are contained inside and some will get stuck in the excluder, but I don't think this is really an issue for a one week period.