Thread: cheap equipment

Default cheap equipment

Do most people worry about knots or defects in HB and supers? I mean, do you buy #1select or choice grade stuff, or due you go down to the lowest grade best price?

Just wondering because I picked up 25 ten frame deeps from a reputable dealer that did not pass inspection. They are all very serviceable and some even look perfect. Got them for $6 each.

There may be a knot or two that needs gluing with liquid nail...but I really did not see that much wrong with them...Oh I did find one handle was cut in upside down.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good deal. I cant really make them a lot cheaper than that.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Default Re: cheap equipment

not a problem the bees dont care and if they are solid otherwise they will work

I Only buy budget grade equipment. I have bought from all major suppliers and have never had any that weren't perfectly serviceable. Save the money and spend it on something else, like feed during a dearth!

Missing knots are wonderfully repaired with soup can lids. After a good coat of paint you hardly notice them. Use a hand stapler on any loose nots to keep them from falling out and the bees usually glue them in very tightly. As long as the knots are not in the corners where one can't nail the box together, they work just fine. I always buy them. I buy the budget frames too and when I find the crooked top bar or hopeless side piece, I cheerfully throw it in the kindling box. At least from Western Bee, I just don't lose that large a percentage and seconds are stone cheap.

Given your location, we may be buying from the same manufacturer/dealer. I, too, buy from the "reject" piles. I glue w/ Titebond II (watered down a bit to "paint" on with a brush), then nail. I then use exterior wood filler to fill in the cracks and holes. After quick sanding, I prime and paint. No one would likely notice the difference by the time I am done with them. -js

A pine box is just that, a pine box. I punch out any loose knots and glue them back in with Titebond III.
    It's hard enough to make any money keeping bees, why would you waist money on "select" boxes?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I'm with Charlie B on this one. Save the money.

Ever notice how many holes are in the trees that bees use. It would be best to just leave the knots out, but, this can lead to the wood rotting. If you were dipping boxes I would say just let the knots fall out, better ventilation, more like nature. The bees will divert any water that enters the hive, or if it becomes a problem they will seal the hole themselves.

It is just a cavity for bees to live in, and produce honey, unless you are putting on a show, (which by the way is O.K. too, if that is what you want to do).

cchoganjr

Being a residential builder, I have scrap wood that is left over in most cases. These scraps are enough to build most anything I may need as far as supers, frames, bottom boards, covers, top bars, etc.
    Really all I have is my time invested.

i work for a building supply, and deliver to contractors. i have so much material i should build hives instead of keeping bee's IT"S A BOX