Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Fall flow

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Mountain Bee 
#1 ·
In a new beek,I live in Virginia 30 miles south of Charlottesville. Just wondering about what time the fall scould start,and do you think we will have one?

#2 ·
I don't know about schyuler but we have a abundance of golden rod here that typically starts to bloom mid to late August and last till about the first frost I have been able to build my hives up on that for winter before but not really end up with any surplus. As far as if we will have a good fall flow?. Pray for rain. I have also gotten a surplus from thistle from late June through July but not this year way to dry.

#4 ·
If you think they need it you can I was feeding a couple of nucs I made up at the end of June but once I thought they were off to a good start I stop. They don't have enough stores to make it through the winter on yet but I figured I still have enough time to let them go at it on there own and see where they are at towards the end of August, first of September.If they are light then I will start pouring the feed to them. It will not hurt to feed them now if you think they are really light but if they aren't I don't see no reason for spending money on sugar. If we get a fall flow it won't take them long to be ready for winter. One thing to make sure is that you don't want to start any robbing which is easy to do when you have a couple of hives with dry conditions like now and sugar syrup on the hives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.