Question When to place a new hive??

Hi All,

I have been reading the forums along with Beekeeping for all, I am not really understanding "when" to place the new hive. Should I be doing this on the first warm day in the spring or should I be doing it sooner? like right now? I am not worried about honey or wax this year, only having a strong hive come spring. This might have been covered somewhere, but I did not seeing much when I search. Any help would be great... FYI I live in Minnesota.. gets really really cold here...

Thanks,
    Tim B
    “Worker bees can leave. Even drones can fly away. The Queen is their slave.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Default Re: When to place a new hive??

Hi Tim,

Most People order bees around January, & receive them in April to start a new hive. If you could find someone selling an established hive locally you could start this year.
    Dan

Thanks Dan,

I shall talk to some of my local BeeKs and see what they have available.
    “Worker bees can leave. Even drones can fly away. The Queen is their slave.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Tim,
    Check out the Nature's Nectar blog. He is a long time beekeeper in Stillwater and also a Mann Lake distributor. His blog covers his beekeeping practices for our northern climate and gives out tips on "what you should be doing now". He also sells bee packages which he gets in later April, which you hive when you get them home. The U of M offers a well regarded weekend beekeeping class in early spring, keep an eye out for that on their website. If you go maybe I will see you there.
    Karl