Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Less interest on bee source?

I wonder if my observation is correct....are there fewer beekeepers on this forum then a year ago?
    I note that a number of prominent and informative visitors seem to have gone on holidays ( I could be wrong) I haven't seem Robbo or Dr Robert Russell and a number of others I highly respected and liked the information they provided?? Not a complaint, simply an observation...and maybe I have not read enough threads on the forum...

Default Re: Less interest on bee source?

I cannot speak for others, but I have moved to other bee forums. The others are still active elsewhere. I have specific reasons but Barry will delete my post if I tell.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

You're funny! A 15% increase over a year ago. As far as anyone in particular, contact them in private and ask them what they're doing.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    I cannot speak for others, but I have moved to other bee forums.
    And yet you still post to every single new member with a link to your own site....
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Those interested in website traffic statistics for Beesource.com (and other websites) may find Alexa.com interesting.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 07-14-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Oops, I made an error, and corrected it.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Or has others asking him for that information.
    Barry. Increased activity may only be a sign that the monkeys have taken over the Zoo. so a 15% increase is nothing to be proud of if it is just 15% more crap. You might want to take some time to examine the content of that 15% increase. The actual productive portion of any group is roughly 10%. "10% of the members of any organization accomplish 90% of the work".
    You also have a certain portion of any group that are there just to disrupt. argue and otherwise spread discord. So just where do you consider the 15% increase lies? In my opinion it seems the discord is being allowed to run rampant and a few people are having a field day. It might be the 15% increase in activity the biggest problem right now.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

We cycle through these type of threads every year or so. Gives a few disgruntled members a chance to express their dislike about something, veiled in "concerned questions" about the well being of the site.
    Regards, Barry

"...The actual productive portion of any group is roughly 10%...."

Maybe so, but what that 10% is likely is different for each person. There is a lot on here today that is useless to me, but was golden 3 years ago. A lot depends on how far along in this line of work a person has matured. It's easy for someone with thousands of hives and decades of "experience" to criticize someone with less than half a dozen hives who is just starting out. My own observation. -js

Kept bees 50 years ago. Got back in 3 years ago. I still like to see what others are doing. Never had anything like this long ago. I guess tho, if we didn't pay the Moderators so much, they wouldn't be there to help keep the forum going.
    Dave

I wasn't in beekeeping a year ago but I like this site better than the other 2-3 that I visit.
    USDA Zone 5B

???. Dixie. I really am confused about what you are trying to say. Are you saying that some people get what they need from one 10 % portion of the group and other people get what they are looking for from a different 10%? If so I don't see how when only 10% of the groups population participates or offers advice aid or guidance. That woudl be 10% of the entire group does everything from saying hello to a new member to finding the latest cutting edge information concerning bees. In that case a more advance beekeeper is probably only receiving from one tenth of one percent of the group as a whole but also needs to be a part of that 10% that is a benefit to every other member.

I recognize the value of experience. but not any where near the way this group seems to think it deserves. They attribute beekeeping experience with all sorts of things that have nothing to do with beekeeping. You may be able to look into my hive and see all sorts of things I would not know looking at the very same thing. and that is about it. It will also most likely result in you making much better decisions in regard to my bees. But so far my very limited experience is already indicating that is not always so. I don't respect anyone simply because they say they have done this or that.

If I am to think someone should be respected they must first show they are respectable. If I am to support someone they must first show me they deserve support. If you want me to consider you intelligent you first must behave intelligently. You don't get respect because you kept bees for some pre determined number of years. I know complete idiots that could accomplish that.

I guess I'm part of the crappy 15%, since I just joined recently. Couldn't the increase in numbers mean there are a lot of new people getting into beekeeping? And that's a good thing any way you look at it. We new beeks probably don't contribute much to anyone's knowledge at this point, but I hardly see how it means the monkeys are taking over the zoo, as you put it. As a new member of BeeSource, I'm always disappointed when people get so agitated over the simplest things, and can't proceed without sarcasm and/or a defensive attitude. (Kind of like Facebook for Beekeepers. Ha!)
    I think there is a wealth of knowledge here. I'm learning a lot.

I invited a group to join Beesource before I saw this post. I still think it is the best forum out there.
    i

A lot of us are busy just now with non-internet stuff. This just isn't the season for kicking back at the computer.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You're funny! A 15% increase over a year ago. As far as anyone in particular, contact them in private and ask them what they're doing.
    Barry, as I said - not a complaint. I don't know anybody personally on this forum. I watch from 1/2 the planet away. I deal with similar issues to beekeepers in the warmer parts of the US. SHB is a relatively new issue here and I keep checking for new reasearch from Robert Russell and he seems not to post his research anymore. I always enjoyed Acebirds inputs ( and tolearance!) as well. I note that peak visits where a little over a year ago but I'm not looking so much for numbers as value for my time visiting this or any site.

Quote Originally Posted by SRBrooks View Post
    I guess I'm part of the crappy 15%, since I just joined recently.
    No, you aren't. I'm pretty sure DanielY is refering to Posts/Content and Barry is talking about increased membership. DanielY is perhaps also refering to some of my Posts, I don't know.

I certainly hope you are learning a lot, or, at least something here on beesource.com.

There are some nay sayers and pessimistist around. Don't pay them much mind. You will figure out who they are.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

All I can say is that comment is a real out of the park swing at encouraging participation. hey folks step on up so you can join those assumed to have some alternative motivation.

In case you missed it Barry just claimed that the problem is they once in a while we get an enflux of people that give a **** and that disrupts the normal A.H. behavior around here.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    It's easy for someone with thousands of hives and decades of "experience" to criticize someone with less than half a dozen hives who is just starting out. My own observation. -js
    Do you find this to be true here?

"DanielY is perhaps also refering to some of my Posts, I don't know." keep them coming sqkcrk - I watch your post numbers with absolute amazement!! Do you ever find time to sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    All I can say is that comment is a real out of the park swing at encouraging participation. hey folks step on up so you can join those assumed to have some alternative motivation.

In case you missed it Barry just claimed that the problem is they once in a wile get an enflux of people that give a **** and that disrupts the normal A.H. behavior around here.
    Which Post is this in Reply to?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast