Default Serated Knife vs needle scraper for uncapping

What works better the double sided serated knife or the the needle scraper for uncapping the comb when harvesting? Or is it best to use both? If so what is each used for?

Default Re: Serated Knife vs needle scraper for uncapping

A needle scraper is I assume a capping scratcher. I have tried using one and you end up with an awful lot of small wax particles in your honey to clog any strainer you may use. You still need it to open any cells the knife can't easily get to. If you only have a hive or two, any long knife kept between cuts in hot water will get the job done. You will need at least two so one can be reheating. Get them at the thrift store along with an old style tall percolater coffee maker to heat the knives. If you have much production at all, you will want an electric or steam heated knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    A needle scraper is I assume a capping scratcher. I have tried using one and you end up with an awful lot of small wax particles in your honey to clog any strainer you may use.
    If you "lift" the cappings with capping scratcher instead of scrathing at them, you get very few small wax particles. I use a capping sratcher a a lot (along with a heat gun) and can move thru a comb of honey pretty quickly with few small wax particles.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I think it's called decapping fork, Vance is right,..lifting off the wax, most people don't know it works this way, scratching makes a mess. I love this tool, hardly any wax in honey.
    They used to have the straight ones, for about 2 years now I have a curved one, [needles are curved] the wax flows and curls nicely, allot better to adjust to uneven comb then a knife, less honey in cappings. I wouldn't want to use any other tools, I.M.O. best tool for the hobby bee keeper.

You see on this frame, just the top thin layer of paper thin wax pealed off, [clover honey] ..try to to this with a knife.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...4795_1_2_1.jpg
    Grow shrubs & trees,...it's good for bees!