Default Introducing a New Queen

So I just requeened a few hives. The hives I had planned to requeen I made queenless yesterday. I ended up having one extra queen and so I quickly killed the queen in another hive and put her in it.

I have heard lots if opinions on how long a hive should be queenless before introduction of the new queen ranging from 1 hour to 24 hours.

What problems may/will I have for not having made this hive queenless for some period if time before I introduced the new caged queen?
    \"The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful.\" - Mark Twain

Default Re: Introducing a New Queen

Most of what I have read and been told, is to wait 24 hrs. But you eliminated the occupying queen, and have the new queen in the cage. So I would think it would just take the pheromone of the new queen to permeate the hive so the bees to recognize her as their queen. If the bees are not balling the cage within a few days, everything should be fine, my understanding the nurse bees are more accepting, it's the older bees, foragers that would act aggressive.
    I would think the wait time is mainly for the bees to become aware the queen is missing and become wanting and missing the one that guarantees the survival of the colony. How did they act when you placed the caged queen inside?

you may not have any problems,i guarantee its been done succesfully many times.did u remove the cork or leave it in???

I always wait a day before the intro. The bees always have a positive reaction to the new queen after a day.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

mrqb.... i did leave the cork in. I plan to remove it in two days. I guess I will get a chance to see if any harm has come to her then.

I plan on installing a new Queen today. Ive been told to just catch the Old 1 and crush her against the new cage .

Are the Bees going to get aggressive while I do this?