Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Seeding the forest with bees

15K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  Gord 
#1 ·
I have access to state park lands. I was thinkin, maybe set up hive of some sort, natural as possible, plant a nuc into into it, and let nature take its' course. Sorta like Johnny Apple seed? All under the radar. :) Anyone tried this? Thoughts?

#31 ·
unfortunatly I disagree with all the native bees and global warming in general (damm hot here now though) we have tons of wild bees, they took the same hit from Vaorra as the rest, but are in fine shape..... Hell I have a contract to do pumpkins 2 of the patches I went to had so many wild bees, I didn't bother.... whats that got to do with seeding? means you don't need to. Wild bees can split and swarm several times a year... Kinda like compound interest, leave it alone and it will grow

As for global warminag and our current heat wave, much prefer to think that hell has finally descended upon us for the morons we have elected to rule... in the mean time show me global warming that does not line the pockets on the americian taxpayers dime and I will look......

#33 ·
As has been said, I think feral colonies are making a comeback. (I've gotten over 10 calls this year for either swarms or swarms that moved into houses. No one around that knew of any local beekeepers so assume they all came from feral colonies. I'm sure there are probably colonies already there - you just don't know about them.

If you wanted to add some (either find some land right by the park and put some hives there and let them swarm) or next year, advertise that you do swarm removal and dump the swarm in a cardboard box, tape it up, drop it off somewhere in the park and open it up. After several days, return for the empty box or just dump them out of the box on your first trip.

I wouldn't build anything to hive a swarm or put a box anywhere. Putting a hive of bees in the park is putting the bees at risk by bears. And anything you build to try to catch a swarm will eventually fall apart. There are plenty of hollow trees in the woods - again - you just can't see them - but they are there.

As for putting hives on the park grounds "in secret" is setting yourself up for trouble. Perhaps they would willingly let you put hives there under the guise (you want your bees to get "wildflower" honey). They don't need to know chances are your bees will swarm.

#34 ·
I thought, didn't think,,,,,that this would be a fun/harmless thing to do. There has been more discouraging words than positive. From some of the responses, it suggests there is not a clear picture of the circumstances where I am at. There are no bears in southern maryland. :) If I thought there were "feral" established hives, I wouldn't concern myself. Honestly do not think that is the case. I sorta think I've gotten a bad rap over this. No matter. One guy with a idea shouldn't do things like this. A bunch of experts with degrees, permits, credentials, can mess up and let loose AHB. I'm being compared to those guys? WOW, my stature in the bee world just got escalated. Calm down, I'm just having fun:)

#38 ·
I believe the exact opposite is true--it's the feral colonies that are vulnerable to the pests/diseases/pesticides we use in our domesticated hives. Feral bees didn't introduce varroa or small hive beetles. . .I think our domestic hives would be strengthened by interaction with feral drones that bring local survivor traits to our non-local, weakening genetics.

Rick, I don't know about the logistics but I support your intention in increasing feral bees.

#36 ·
Thankyou!!!! One of my points that I think got lost somewhere. I can hear the opposition. So, it really matters not the location. I think a point may be who/what is doing the most harm to "feral" bees trying to establish them selves? I'll leave that open:)

#44 ·
"From Europe, the Middle East and Africa."? So, there are no feral honeybees in the US currently?

"I am finding black bees in my feeders presumably from feral stocks." Could it be that you have some robbing going on? Bees that rob become slick and black looking. Maybe they aren't black bees at all.

Bees that rob bring diseases home w/ them, they are not a substantial vector of diseases such as AFB and Nosema.

"(assumed AFB stings)" Is this a reference to a case of AFB found in a colony 20 miles away from you? Seriously, this is a real concern to you, a case of AFB 20 miles away? It should not be.

#45 ·
Could it be that you have some robbing going on? Bees that rob become slick and black looking. Maybe they aren't black bees at all.
Can you elaborate on this? I have never heard t his before or if I did I paid it no mind. Very intriguing and would like to know more about this thought. Thanks

By the way I do not think seeding bees anywhere is a good idea and intentionally letting them go into the wild is not going to get the results anyone is looking for. I can see a lot of death and agony by the bees that are let go by man. They are much better if we (beekeepers) maintain them with better practices. Just my opinion.

If you are looking to spend the extra money you have or just wanting to throw out your bees, pm me and I will give you my address and will take all the money and bees you can send. :D

#47 ·
Rick....I am kinda like you. I actually got into this because there are NO bees in my neck of the woods....Literally. I have more than 10 miles of state land behind me that borders the next state. Unbuildable land. I have lived here for more than 10 years, we have huge gardens and only other pollinators, but no honey bees. So my plan is to simply let my hives grow split and swarm. With ya.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.