Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Seeding the forest with bees

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    The down side of feral bee colonies is their vulnerability to (now) indemic pests and diseases, and the exposure our domesticated hives have when the two meet.
    Lburou, where do feral bees come from?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Thumbs Up Re: Seeding the forest with bees

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Lburou, where do feral bees come from?
    From Europe, the Middle East and Africa. I'm not saying I expect you to have the same reticence about feral bees and swarms, I'm saying there is risk introduced when feral bees enter my apiary and I want to take precautions to limit that contact with my colonies by doing what I can to keep diseases and pests out of my apiary.

I live in an area with two known bee hives within a radius of five miles of my rural location. I'm finding black bees in my feeders (clearly not the Italians in those two local hives, or mine) presumably from feral stocks. I don't want to expose my bees to endemic vectors because I'm too lazy to to do something about it.

That is not to mention the dead horse (assumed AFB stings) within twenty miles of my house this Spring.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    From Europe, the Middle East and Africa. I'm not saying I expect you to have the same reticence about feral bees and swarms, I'm saying there is risk introduced when feral bees enter my apiary and I want to take precautions to limit that contact with my colonies by doing what I can to keep diseases and pests out of my apiary.
    Non-issue, unhealthy colonies in the wild just don't survive.

The feral colonies are in far more danger from our bees, than our bees are from them.

"From Europe, the Middle East and Africa."? So, there are no feral honeybees in the US currently?

"I am finding black bees in my feeders presumably from feral stocks." Could it be that you have some robbing going on? Bees that rob become slick and black looking. Maybe they aren't black bees at all.

Bees that rob bring diseases home w/ them, they are not a substantial vector of diseases such as AFB and Nosema.

"(assumed AFB stings)" Is this a reference to a case of AFB found in a colony 20 miles away from you? Seriously, this is a real concern to you, a case of AFB 20 miles away? It should not be.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Could it be that you have some robbing going on? Bees that rob become slick and black looking. Maybe they aren't black bees at all.
    Can you elaborate on this? I have never heard t his before or if I did I paid it no mind. Very intriguing and would like to know more about this thought. Thanks

By the way I do not think seeding bees anywhere is a good idea and intentionally letting them go into the wild is not going to get the results anyone is looking for. I can see a lot of death and agony by the bees that are let go by man. They are much better if we (beekeepers) maintain them with better practices. Just my opinion.

If you are looking to spend the extra money you have or just wanting to throw out your bees, pm me and I will give you my address and will take all the money and bees you can send.
    Experience is better than theory.

Quote Originally Posted by avesterfelt View Post

If you are looking to spend the extra money you have or just wanting to throw out your bees, pm me and I will give you my address and will take all the money and bees you can send.
    You are in line behind me!

Rick....I am kinda like you. I actually got into this because there are NO bees in my neck of the woods....Literally. I have more than 10 miles of state land behind me that borders the next state. Unbuildable land. I have lived here for more than 10 years, we have huge gardens and only other pollinators, but no honey bees. So my plan is to simply let my hives grow split and swarm. With ya.

Jim

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123