Hybrid View

Default Seeding the forest with bees

I have access to state park lands. I was thinkin, maybe set up hive of some sort, natural as possible, plant a nuc into into it, and let nature take its' course. Sorta like Johnny Apple seed? All under the radar. Anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Default Re: Seeding the forest with bees

So there's no bees there already?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I caught a swarm from this area. It has urban population around it. I do not know where these bees came from. I know where the cluster was before they entered my box. Can not locate the source.
    I guess my thoughts were to try and establish a hive under old school conditions in the "woods". Man made hollow and see what takes course. A test of my bees maybe?

I'm not sure what you meant by "under the radar," but I've thought of sneaking a hive into a wildlife/state forest that's just down the road. The thing is so big I wonder if anyone would notice..... Anyway, good luck!

I live right next to Mammoth Cave National Park, and back in the late 1990's when the Varroa mites wiped everyone out, including feral bees, I tried to get the State and Federal Government (using the tobacco settlement funds), to buy some Package Bees and just release them into the wild to repopulate the area from the wipeout. They claimed there would be a liability issue, and it never came about. Feral bees are on the increase now and have been for the past 5-8 years. It is beginning to show up in logging operations near the Park.

Not sure of the consequences of putting a nuc on State Property, but it would be illegal to take bees from a National Park. The Park will occasionally grant permission for swarms be relocated, if they endanger tourists or Park facilities. Otherwise they are protected.

cchoganjr

T152, I was thinking the same! I was driving through the back ares of Eastern Oregon, Miles and miles of very few people. I was thinking just for fun placing a few hives out in some locations and seeing what happens. For that matter, does anyone know the regulations for placing Honey Bees on U.S. Forrest Land?
    God made Honey Bees!

"And in the news today a Maryland man was arrested on the charge of Bio terrorisim when he alledgedly released Honey bees onto public land in the hopes that they would spread and enddanger tourists."