Thread: Found a queen

Default Found a queen

I removed a several year old colony of bees from an outdoor chimney a few weeks ago. I had plenty of comb and bees so I hived them in two deep boxes. I didnt see the queen while I was removing the bees but I figured I'd give them a little time and check them. I went to look today and there on a piece of comb in front of the hive was a queen. I picked her up and put her on the entrance, the guard bees immediately threw her off, so I tried again and same result. I caged her and I have her in the house now, just wondering if there is anything I can do with her. Thoughts?DSCN0275.jpg

Default Re: Found a queen

They must not like her all to well I'm guessing. Is there queen cells or supersedure cells in the hive? She won't last long in your house.

I didnt open them up since I found her on the outside of the hive. Can I put her in the hive if shes caged and them open them up tomorrow to check? I wonder if they are booting her since the were relocated?

Put her in a cage, hang her for 4 days, then release her.

Another way, double screen your hive and put her in the top, by herself, where she can't get out, 4 days later remove the screen.

cchoganjr

Thanks for the suggestions, I slipped her into the top and put some newspaper between the hive bodies. The comb wasnt attached to the frames very well yet, so I didnt want to move it around too much. She wasnt overly active but that probably had something to do with the stress of being outside for the past 10+ days.

Here are a few more pics of the hive in its original locationDSCN0256.jpgDSCN0239.jpgDSCN0241.jpgDSCN0245.jpgDSCN0248.jpg