Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Seeding the forest with bees

I have access to state park lands. I was thinkin, maybe set up hive of some sort, natural as possible, plant a nuc into into it, and let nature take its' course. Sorta like Johnny Apple seed? All under the radar. Anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Default Re: Seeding the forest with bees

So there's no bees there already?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I caught a swarm from this area. It has urban population around it. I do not know where these bees came from. I know where the cluster was before they entered my box. Can not locate the source.
    I guess my thoughts were to try and establish a hive under old school conditions in the "woods". Man made hollow and see what takes course. A test of my bees maybe?

I'm not sure what you meant by "under the radar," but I've thought of sneaking a hive into a wildlife/state forest that's just down the road. The thing is so big I wonder if anyone would notice..... Anyway, good luck!

I live right next to Mammoth Cave National Park, and back in the late 1990's when the Varroa mites wiped everyone out, including feral bees, I tried to get the State and Federal Government (using the tobacco settlement funds), to buy some Package Bees and just release them into the wild to repopulate the area from the wipeout. They claimed there would be a liability issue, and it never came about. Feral bees are on the increase now and have been for the past 5-8 years. It is beginning to show up in logging operations near the Park.

Not sure of the consequences of putting a nuc on State Property, but it would be illegal to take bees from a National Park. The Park will occasionally grant permission for swarms be relocated, if they endanger tourists or Park facilities. Otherwise they are protected.

cchoganjr

T152, I was thinking the same! I was driving through the back ares of Eastern Oregon, Miles and miles of very few people. I was thinking just for fun placing a few hives out in some locations and seeing what happens. For that matter, does anyone know the regulations for placing Honey Bees on U.S. Forrest Land?
    God made Honey Bees!

"And in the news today a Maryland man was arrested on the charge of Bio terrorisim when he alledgedly released Honey bees onto public land in the hopes that they would spread and enddanger tourists."

Here in KY there is a program for setting up hives on reclaimed coal mining land. It is illegal to turn other animals into the wild but with bees I'm sure this would not apply since swarms happen and we can't be controlled as to whre they end up. Placing hives anywhere without permission is tresspassing but you could set them on private land ajoining the state park and alow them to swarm, should accomplish what you are proposing provided there is a hollow tree the bees like or you could find a tree or suitable hive spot and place swarm lure to draw swarms to that location provided you are allowed to be in that area of th park. Good luck!

I think seeding the forest with native seeds, truly like Appleseed, is the way to go. One of the biggest problems for the honeybee as with most endangered species is LOSS OF HABITAT AND LAND CARRYING CAPACITY. The bees that are already there will appreciate it.

Under the radar, trying to keep it quite The idea of putting lure in possible hollows is a great idea. Perhaps some man made hollows of the correct size and some old comb.
    This is not a vast tract. Quite small actually. 1100 acres. Very diverse though. The swarm I lured is still on the property and thriving. Those that are aware think it is really neat they are there. Very much out of the way of the public. My hope is they will stay there, and come spring, lure their swarm to a hollow. I just think it would be interesting Maybe a nuc in the middle of the forest.
    Thanks
    Bee Bio Terrorism (a popeye laugh is emitted)

I think a better plan would be to covertly create habitat for the bees. Get a good drill bit and drill some holes in some trees, get a hollow started. Maybe it will be enlarged by a bird or something. Make habitat available and things will happen. Dump animals on bare land and you're not going to see any positive results.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Since I have been entertaining this idea, sometime before I posted the thread, I have kept my eye open for good looking hollows. Certain sections of the property probably haven't been logged since the 1700s maybe? Huge trees. A few good candidates I believe. Thought about getting a cheap, if there is such a thing, flex camera to spy into the hollow and take my best guess as to whether it will accommodate.
    The area is very conducive, forage wise, for the bees. Several utility right of ways, fallow fields and the like. Good water sources.
    Hopefully, if I do proceed, I will set the stage for success

isn't anyone bothered by this? this type of un experienced Meddling with the enviroment is exactly what gave us Asian carp, brown rate in Guam, SPade toads in the outback, oh yea Africianized bees....... Feral hogs... etc... the list is HUGE

I know I know " were smarter than that" exactly the reasoning.... There are laws against putting things loose like that in national parks for a reason...
    Manage your own bees and leave the parks to the experts. JMO

WHOA,,,,,
    I GOT the bees from the park. Did you miss that? What is the difference in this, and putting out Bluebird boxes, wood duck boxes, re locating indigenous Wild Turkeys or other similar conservation efforts?. They are LOCAL bees.

Since I can "keep" bees in my backyard and have a tree with a hollow I thought about dumping a swarm in the hollow and see what happens. I got into the hobbby as a way to help with pollination in my garden.

I do not totally disagree with GM C. The species he makes point with were in many cases, good intentions gone bad. Some were "the experts". I'm not importing anything foreign/non indigenous. I do not see the harm at this point. Willing to be enlightened.

Well the first two were boxes to encourage wild breeding. the turkeys was done with the help of experts to ensure the health, a team of conserrvationist to plan it, a legal body to approve and fund it (supported by everyone usualy) (wolves not so much)...

Not one guy with a plan....... I am all for more bees..... What drives me insane is the number of people who want to put or take from public grounds cause there smarter than the rest of us.... same guys who scream at controled logging, Oil wells on the north slope.. etc,,,,, Also wondered who the genius who imported Varroa, thinking he had the plan!.....

We have rules about public grounds, restocking them with your own desires (say POT) is not allowed...... But a few hundered acres and do as you wish....

Stepping off the soap box now.....

Your point is well made and taken For me to explain my taking liberties with PL, (this one), I would have to explain some things I care not to.. I understand, but don't quite feel the innocence or potential of it stacks up on the level of oil wells on the north slope. The line has to be drawn somewhere. If I bought those hundred acres next to the PL, and went ahead with the idea, the only difference would be in the use of PL. I can not argue that point, as you would be absolutely correct

Maybe a better idea would be to find out what species of bees are native to your area and try to make habitat for them instead of honeybees. Whoever is in charge might even endorse the concept.

Ted

I think the best idea would be to secretly setup a few hives in my backyard. I wouldn't even call the law if I caught you doing it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast