Default Combining Med / to Deep

I have the opportunity to pick up a complete hive. The hive is all mediums, but I have all deeps. My hive is dwindling and I am going to use the new hive to boost the numbers. Would it be best to switch positions, shake several frames into the deep, or put out a sign announcing a party? What would you do?

Default Re: Combining Med / to Deep

use a sheet of newspaper between the two hive (hive box on top of other hive). This will give them time to join.

If your hive is dwindling, boosting numbers is not going to help long term. There's another problem, likely the queen. If I were you and wanting to achieve what you want to achieve (and I realize I am not) I would take one box from the medium hive and let it raise a queen. Then off the queen from the deep hive and combine the two. Once that is done, you can return the medium to the medium stack (leaving the new queen in the deep hive).
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

this would combine all into one right? What if I just wanted a lot of bees to help the weak hive, I may could use the other hive as a helper when needed like now. What if I placed a few frames a brood in the deeps? Then put the frames back after the bees emerge?

I replaced the queen, saw her today, just worried about population getting thin by the time bees emerge. Maybe I should pinch one queen and do the new paper method

In that case, just shake some bees in. I would be operating with the intention of having more than one hive. More is better.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

yes, shake sounds good, and yes I do want to increase the hive situation, and should have. now it will be so

Where did you get your bees from this year? I live about 45 miles south of you. I brought a nuc in Gordonsville back in May.

Mail order package was one, that is the weak one, the other Just picked up near Sherando. How's your nuc progressing?

It is still weak had to requeen three weeks ago,got her from valley bee suppy in fisherville.She has good brood pattern.Sould have little bees hatchen out next week.Hope they will build up before winter.Thanks hows your doing?

You got one of the Carniloan x italian queens, been told they are superb, I have her sister, I just replaced the package bee queen last week.

The package is very weak now, but I picked up another complete hive today, adding capped brood from the new hive, trying to get it the population built up, with the new queen I am sure it will pick up soon.

Glad to hear that. I also got another nuc about a month ago from a beekeeper in Amherst. They look like italians but darker hes said they were feral bees.They are in 10 fram deeps.Her brood pattern covers the whole frame.She is laying in second box now.I kept his telephone no. Ill be calling him next spring.