Default Propolis skin allergy (allergic contact dermatitis)

Just wondering if many (or any) others experience this. I've had it for a year and a half know. Symptoms are callous type skin buildups on the sides of the index and second finger on each hand where propolis gets on them from frames. My doctor thought that it was a nickel allergy, but I'm pretty certain now that it is propolis. The best cure seems to be to sand off the rough skin and use moisturizing cream with aloe and cucumber. I haven't tried many other lotions though, and maybe there is something better. The worst part of it is that the skin frequently cracks and gets sore. I try to wear gloves as much as possible, but I know the pair I wear right now probably have propolis soaked through the leather. I've thought of trying latex but haven't yet.
    Ken

Default Re: Propolis skin allergy (allergic contact dermatitis)

I meant to post in the Bee Forum, but I guess I screwed up and don't know how to move it.
    Ken

Over the last two years my dermatologists has sent me through this progression to get my hands cleared up. All of the clobetasol solutions worked for me, but to varying degrees. I have very stubborn dermatitis, but I never thought it might be the propolis.
    1. Over the counter hydrocortisone
    2. Clobetasol cream
    3. 50ml Clobetasol solution in 1 pound of CeraVe
    4. Clobetasol ointment
    5. Clobetasol ointment with occlusive dressing
    6. Clobetasol ointment with occlusive dressing twice a day

Allergic contact dermatitis can be weird, I get blisters from tomato plants, some hardwoods while woodworking, various nut trees if contact to green growth. Yet poison ivy does not appear to have any effect. The only solution is wear gloves. It comes down to 'each his own'.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

I've had contact dermatitis for 1 year now and have been to at least half dozen dermatoligist and allergist, I've had everything from allergies to latex, the sun is causing a reaction to my high blood pressure medicine(what the doctor say), I've had two biopsies. I have been on Prednisone off and on for a year (they say its bad to be on it very long) and i still have the hives. I asked the doctors if it could be allergies to me because I have bees they said most likely not.
    I take 3 tablespoons of honey everyday because my allergies the pollens. They would say thats probably not it. The one good thing is about it is I'm not like some of my friends that have cancer,diabetes, and etc. Its so irritating but it could be worse.