Thread: Drone Activity

Default Drone Activity

Newbee Concern:
    Heard a loud buzzing yesterday late morning.
    Went to the hive area and there were many bees about 100 feet from the hive, appeared to be swarming. A few minutes later the swarm was not around. The entrance of the hive had a lot of activity with a lot of large bees, thought the hive was being invaded but no real fighting, apparently drones but more than I had ever seen at my hive. Opened the hive this morning and there are several full and partial combs and plenty of empty bars. Hive is much calmer today with not many drones around just like it use to be.
    Any insight on what's was happening?

Default Re: Drone Activity

It might been a mating "party".
    Possibly your drones or some others looking for you know what!
    I had some weird activity earlier this year and thought it was robbery but it wasn't. At least not a successful robbery. Similar stuff though, noticeable action at the entrance and . some bees flying around rather than away. Not orientation circles.
    If you think robbing was the culprit however you can reduce your entrance size and your bees will be able to play doorman/bouncer more efficiently and defend their goods.
    As far as the empty bars...were they empty before the incident?

Thanks for the input.
    No dead bees at entrance and only lasted a half day. Bars were empty before the activity....maybe just a mating party. Everything seems back to normal now.

Sounds like they were trolling if you get my drift. lol