Default Mosquito Aerial Spray

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and beekeeping. I live in the Florida Keys, and I am having trouble with the mosquito spraying they do here on a weekly basis.

My issue is this: I am having bee death every time they aerial spray their adulticide over my property. They're spraying around 7 or 730 when the bees are awake and foraging. I visit my hives after a spray and see that there are at least a pound of bees lying on the ground in front of the box.

What can I do to prevent this bee death??

Default Re: Mosquito Aerial Spray

P.S. I called them and apparently they can't spray in the dark because its dangerous for the pilots and the topography makes it impossible? We have a lot of off-shore islands here and a lot of water that makes it dangerous to fly at night.

File a claim in small claims court.
    Start video of the spray and the deaths the next morning.
    Log the dates.
    Make sure your hives are registered with the country bee inspector and the dept that does the spraying.
    Write them a letter informing them that they are killing your hives.
    Mail reg with return postcard.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Sorry to hear about your problems with the mosquito sprayers. I too live in Florida and have the sprayer concerns. Fortunately I haven't seen an impact on any hives yet...knock wood...

At minimum I'd explain the situation (sounds like you did) and get a spray schedule on dates and times. I'd then move my hives to a location that is as sheltered as possible. Some tree canopy cover at minimum or perhaps alongside/inside a shed with some cover over...again, anything is better than nothing. Although I have seen some hives set up actually inside a kids playhouse sort of out-building. It sounds like they spray early which is good, so after consulting the schedule I'd try to at least screen the hive in the night before. The later the better. The cooler night temps should have bearding at a minimum. I'd also document, both written log and photo, the heck out of all the hives and any losses. Best of luck to you!

I don't think suing them is an option, really. I only have two boxes, and I don't even sell my honey. Its more like gifts for Christmas. And while I'm not a huge fan of the spray myself, the mosquitoes do suck down here, so I know plenty of people would be complaining if they didn't spray. I just want to find a way to prevent bee death and mosquito bites.

I just got off the phone with BetterBee and got some interesting advice. She said to seal the hive before sunrise (before any of the forager bees have left), and keep it sealed until 40 minutes after the plane flew over. Probably a total of 3 hours. Then there won't be so many poisoned bees fighting a losing battle to get back into the hive, and thus not too much bee death.

It is Florida, so I'm worried about them over-heating, but she said I could add an extra top box to allow for ventilation. I think I'll give this a try.