Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Really need some feed back please

Thank you to those of you that gave great advice, to those of you who turned this into a drama site I will no longer be visiting this site. It's really sad that a person can not ask for some advice without all the drama. I have enough of that in my life with 5 kids that I don't need to have to tread through it on here to get to the people who are really trying to help.

Shoot, this banter only lasted 5 or 6 posts! Just as in all other areas of life, we have some opinionated beekeepers here (me included at times) that like to argue their finer points. Just sit back and let it play out. In the end, they give each other the beekeeper handshake, a slap on the back of the head and calmly wait for the next issue to arise. Come on, don't leave, it's just the sideshow!
    Regards, Barry

Please accept my apologies for my contributions to the drama. Don't judge the whole site be it. There are a lot of helpful people here and a lot of good advice ( and some not so good). Overall beesource.com is an excellent resource. Again, my apologies.

jeb

I have to say that I truly don't believe that a strong enough hive can guard against wax moths, if . . .

I have LOTS of moths in my area, and they do not go dormant in this climate. I have one hive that is fairly hot, and partially AHB, and I tolerate them because they are phenomenally productive. But even they have been bothered by WM.

ANY pest, in sufficient numbers will take down a hive. Period. Just because they *usually* don't, doesn't mean they *can't*.

I have been experimenting, with some success, using EO of cedar sprayed on the inside of the wood of the boxes. I have also been sprinkling "snake pellets" saturated with high amounts of Cedar oil, cinnamon, and clove oils. It does seem to have slowed down the WM, AND the SHB. Don't know about fewer snakes, but I'll take what I can get.

I have also been quite dismayed by the tone of the Beesource forum in the last several months. We have many people here set in their ways, and fond of generalities who paint with a broad brush. Those of us whose experience has differed, are often answered with variations of, "You are doing it wrong, or you wouldn't have problems. Do it MY way, it's the RIGHT way." But beekeeping is, and always was, a fairly localized topic. And as a group, we have forgotten to give credence to the variations that may arise.

We are also sometimes forgetful that there are PEOPLE at the other end of the keyboard. They also have feelings and opinions which may differ from ours. That doesn't make them automatically WRONG, it presents us with a learning opportunity.

And at the risk of opening a can of worms, which I am NOT trying to do, I will also point out that the majority of beeks out there, and on this forum are male. The original query on this thread was by a woman. And women on this forum do tend to get shouted down more than the men. Unlike the guys, who will go out at recess, beat the snot out of each other and then be friends for life, we tend to respond differently. Barry's point. But some people dislike this kind of "banter", are offended by it, and we just leave. I assume, eventually, if enough people are offended by it, and call it, perhaps something will be done to encourage a more positive tone, rather than the rather overbearing one now dominating.

Women on this forum don't need special treatment, don't go there. But like everyone else, we expect, and should be granted, basic courtesy. We've now successfully chased off a newbie who needed our help, who might have had something to offer, due to sloppy communication and poor manners.

I suggest you take a moment and READ YOUR POST OUT LOUD before you submit it. The Mods do a good job of catching the egregious on the forum, but a lot of subtle stuff slides. If you wouldn't speak to your Mama/Wife/Lover/Pastor/Dog/Bees that way, (or whomever you happen to accord the most respect) then don't post it.

Mea Culpa, and with a "Gibbs" slap to the back of the head, with love,
    Summer

Love the Gibbs slap...Nicely done...

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Originally Posted by jbeshearse Wax moth is not a problem unless the area in the hive is to large for the bees to defend.

Anecdotal evidence, I have have never seen a healthy colony unable to guard a hive of at least five deeps year 'round.
    I think you just got after someone for posting anecdotal evidence and then posted your own anecdotal evidence!!
    Regards, Barry

Nanook --

Have a crush on Mr. Leroy Jethro Gibbs. DH says if he ever asks, I get to leave home, no questions asked. My fingers are crossed . . . But DH says he's not worried.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12