Hybrid View

Default Really need some feed back please

Please check this out and if anyone can help we could use all the help we can get with this problem. We would like to know if our healthy hive could be affected by these and if so what steps can we take to stop it. http://rl-photography.blogspot.com/p/honey-bees.html

Default Re: Really need some feed back please

1. Do some more reading. No beekeeper should be left in the dark about wax moths. Get a good book or two, I recommend The Practical Beekeeper by Michael Bush and the Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping by Dean Stiglitz and Laurie Herboldsheimer.

2. Stop feeding. Bees are not horses. They do not need to be fed unless they have no honey to live on going into winter. They do not need to be watered unless there is absolutely no source of water within three miles. Sugar syrup is not honey. It is not the optimal diet for bees. It is a stopgap measure.

3. Your hive died. Wax moths moved in. If your healthy hive died, it would be overtaken by wax moths as well. Healthy hives do not have wax moth problems. Wax moths are incapable of taking over a hive not already compromised.

4. If you're worried about losing hives, you need to check your bees a little more often. You don't get a wax moth infestation like that in a week. Your hive looks like it has been dead for more than a month.

5. You need more hives. I have 28 hives. I don't care if I lose one or two. If you lose one, you've lost half. If you lose two, you've lost all. In today's beekeeping climate, you cannot expect not to lose hives and the fewer you have, the greater the chance that you will lose all of them at once as a matter of probability.

Sorry to be so blunt, I call it like I see it.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Solomon,
    Thank you for you bluntness. You are the first person that I have gotten some real answers from.

^^^ what he said...
    I'd add that to have that much infestation go undetected suggests you missed some pretty big warning signs. Ironically, someone who has 20+ hives (maybe in an outyard) can miss a 'dying' hive until it's that bad. But if these hives are in proximity to your home or garden, then you should be able to see how the bee's behavior changes over the course of a season. At some point some time ago, those bees would have started looking really weak and a quick peek inside would have tipped you off that they were in trouble.

Which is not to say I haven't missed some huge warning signs :-}
    LOL

I will disagree on the "missed the pretty big warning signs"and "dead for a month". It really depends on your inspection schedule and knowledge of bees. I can see my hives go from no wax moth larva to that condition in about 2 to 3 weeks. But that is after the bees have declined to a point that they can't protect the hive. For this to occur the hive had to be either weak or just have to much space for them to defend. Wax moth is not a problem unless the area in the hive is to large for the bees to defend. You either had given them to much room or they diminished for some reason. You just need to inspect with frequency and make hive size adjustments if they have more room than they can defend. This hive would have been overun with SHB before the wax moths got it in my area. At hive death + one month, the Wax moth larva have pretty much destroyed all the frames in one to 2 boxes of comb, at least in my area. They are just being natures recycler, pretty much the only thng out there that can digest beeswax to any degree.

The take away here is to pay close attention if your hive population begins to decrease.

Thank you jbeshearse, you have really have helped. I think we did have too much space and we had someone come out last year to take a look and help us and he told us that we didn't need a new queen at the time but I have read that you should requeen every year?

abejorro,

Actually the hives are located out a ways in our field due to the fact that my elderly parents that live on our property are deathly afraid of them. I wish they were closer and am really considering moving them at least a little closer. Not a good excuse but both my husband and I work full time and I have a second job and with the bees being out of sight we were not doing that good of a job keeping up with them. We have learned our lesson and are checking on them more often now. I just wanted to get some advise for our other bee hive so we didn't loose it also. I totally agree with both you and Solomon we messed up bad with this hive so I just want to make sure that we don't do that again. As far as more hives that will have to come with time because bees are not cheap little things lol. We are trying to add a hive a year though. Oh and Solomon we are feeding them because that is what I read in a book to do. Also, all the bee people told us they needed it because our creek is dried up and there are no blooms around to be found. Everything here has dried up.

As for feeding, in my opinion, you only need to feed if they are light on stores. Light in the summer being less than 2 frames of capped honey. But in your area, assuming a full one deep brood box, they need to have a full super of honey/syrup going into winter.

As a rule, I don't feed, except on starting nucs or newly collected swarms.

There are a lot of opinions out there on whether to feed, trrreat, etc. it really comes down to personal preference, willingness to lose hives, watch bees die, and management style.

Got'ya. As I said, bees in 'outyards' can be trickier to manage. But if you are feeding, I assume you look into them (to replenish feed) at least every couple of days? In any case, my point was that with a little experience, you can pick up 'warning signs' early on. Usually :-} Also, an advantage of having two (or more) hives, is that if you have a straggler, you can bulk it up by stealing from your stronger hive (of course, don't end up with two failing hives).

jbeshearse: Not sure what you are disagreeing with if you proceed to say bees can go from 60-0 in 2-3 weeks and that it depends on 'knowledge of bees'. That would be exactly my point: assuming you are a hobby beek, and at least glancing at bees once a week (?), you should develop the knowledge to know something is wrong just by popping the lid up. Could not agree more with the rest of your comments...

Be careful when you move the hive a short distance,some precautions need to be taken or the hive will return to the old location....Now you know what wax moths look like..I make up traps for the moths placing 1 cup of sugar 1 cup white vinegar 1 banana peel 1 cup of water, in a 1 liter plastic bottle with a 3/4 inch hole just below the neck.....Works great, and catches flys too...