Default Add supers on top of hive or next to queen excluder?

Wondering if it makes a difference where a honey super is placed as the honey supers are filled, at the top of the hive vs under the other honey supers. Of course no choice where to put the first honey super. But after that I was told to place the empty super beneath the full supers, and keep placing new supers in that location. This is of course more difficult because adding the fifth super and for subsequent inspections, one has to lift off the other full supers, thus creating a greater disturbance, etc.
    Does it work as well to simply put the latest empty super at the top of the hive?
    Does the answer to the question vary depending on whether the super has built up comb vs. new frame/foundation?
    Your thoughts are appreciated!

Default Re: Add supers on top of hive or next to queen excluder?

Bottom supering is usually done when producing Comb Honey. That way the bees will not stain the new cappings by walking over them to get to the empty supers. It is a lot of work and I just add empty supers on top when producing extracted honey. The bees will draw foundation no matter where it is as long as they need the space and there is incoming nectar. If you have four or five supers of honey, why not extract some? It will make the job easier. Some times when we are nearing the end of a flow, I will add a super of foundation on top instead of one with drawn comb. That way, If the bees need the super, they have the space, otherwise, they will completly fill the drawn lower supers before starting on the foundation.

Default Re: Add supers on top of hive or next to queen excluder?

Thanks for clarifying on bottom vs top supers! I plan to remove the honey supers, but we won't be able to extract for a few weeks. I guess whether or not they draw comb will depend on the flower supply, which is diminishing in this drought.